• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I file a police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

novicebb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I bought a car from a guy claiming to be a private dealer and mechanic from Craigslist.

The car was being sold for $2200 but we agreed to $1200 down and monthly payments of $200. This car was purchased on May 9th 2010. Immediately I experienced mechanical issues. Battery died on me, power steering hose wasn't hooked up, transmission started slipping.

Guy offered to fix car for free. Finally get him to fix car. Tells me he was going to meet me and work on the car after I got off work. Next thing I know car was gone. I contacted him said he got car and that he had extra key. I said I did not know you had extra key.

I eventually dropped the issue of him getting car without permission and agreed to let him work on car.

2 days later he emails me stating that he wouldn't return car till I paid remaining $1000 left on balance despite our agreement of monthly payments.

He is not an American citizen and I am afraid he will leave the country with my money and the car.

Do I have legal standing to file a police report of the car being stolen? I have bill of sale and even the original key.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">