• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any alternatives?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mquinla1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
I had a new roof installed in 1994. Now the shingles are curling and actually discinigrating. The company that installed the roof claims that back in 1994 they did not know they were installing a bad product, therefore we have no claim with them. On my receipt it states that we have a 20 yr warranty with the maker of the shingles, who since have discontinued making that product. Trying to file a claim with them is a joke, and I would think that the company that installed the product should take some responsibility for helping us out. The shingle company wants us to fill out countless forms, take off shingle samples and send to them, etc. etc. Even after doing all that, they say we had the roof for 10 years and they would only refund half of what it cost for the shingles back in 1994. All the roofing company will do is install a new roof for $3000.00. Am I wrong in thinking the roofing company should help us and take some of the responsibility? Would this be worth taking the roofing company to small claims court?

racer72

mquinla1 said:
Am I wrong in thinking the roofing company should help us and take some of the responsibility? Would this be worth taking the roofing company to small claims court?
You answered your own question earlier in your post.

mquinla1 said:
On my receipt it states that we have a 20 yr warranty with the maker of the shingles, who since have discontinued making that product.
Unless the installer offered a warranty above and beyond the manufacturers warranty, you have no claim. And the manufacturer is honoring it's warranty, prorating the warranty, especially with roofing products, is an industry standard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">