• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have ANYTHING here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Petronilla

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I am trying to see if I have anything here at all. I know it's a long shot, but not being a legal expert, I dont want to make the judgement.
My ex-roommate took out a phone in my name due to his bad credit, and never made a single payment on it. It is now in collections, my credit has sufferred greatly (it's probably worse than his now), and he keeps promising to pay, but never will. The bill has skyrocketed to about $600. Aside from this, he hides the collection notices in his room, and I wasnt even aware of them until I went in there one day to get something and saw them.
Unfortunately, we have also come into problems with utility bills. Yes, I have learned my lesson. However, he insisted that he could not get bills in his name due to his credit, so we had no choice but to put them in mine. He refuses to make payments. I havent made all of the payments either, simply because he uses SO much gas/electricity and I dont have the money to make them on my own. I have since moved out, am trying to get the utilities shut off (but they are STILL on, I dont know how- they keep telling me they are shutting them off) and he is still running a tab on my credit. He also hides the utility bills.
The total of the bills is about $2000. I know I am liable for about $600 of that, etc., but honestly I just cant pay that. I dont know what to do, since it is in my name. Do I have anything here at all?

weenor

Pay the bills that are in your name and sue the roommate. Once you have a judgment garnish his wages. You are responsible for everything that's in your name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">