• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Asbjorn

What is the name of your state? pa

I made someone a signatory on a credit card for which I pay. I told them they could use it for gas, a few hundred dollars of necessary expenses a month, or if there was an emergency. I requested that they inform me any individual large purchases or if they had an emergency. I also allowed them to put a specific auto repair on the card as a loan, until a tax return came in.

The card was used within these guidelines for a several months. During the second to last month level of purchases went up, I reminded the co signatory of the limits, and was given an explanation. The next month I discovered several thousand dollars in purchases on the card. I was not informed. I have canceled the card and attempted to contact the signatory. They have refused to return my calls. I have received no recompense for the general expenses or the car repair.

My instructions were vague, and the agreement was verbal. Do I have any claim to reimbursement for the last month’s bill? Do I have any claim for the loan?

As

Ladynred

Did you make this person an Authorized User on your account or did you add that person as a JOINT account holder ?

Either way, it sounds like the only way you *might* recover the money from this person is to sue for it. Even then you may have problems in that your 'agreement' was only verbal. You might be able to request copies of the charge slips with that person's signature on it, from the creditor, to show that YOU didn't make the purchases and show his/her usage.

Even if you were to win, you'd then have to collect on it.. and that can be even harder to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">