• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glennlyvers

I live in Indiana. I was in Las Vegas at the airport with an acquaintance. I asked him to watch my things and he agreed. I went to buy a coke and returned to find my items gone. He mistakenly thought our flight was called and grabbed only one of my bags and jumped in line for the wrong flight at the gate, leaving behind a small bag which held an $800 camera accessory, which was surely picked up by someone after he left it. He has refused to even split it with me, and insulted me when I asked him to resolve it. Do I have a case?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

File your case in Las Vegas and find out.

But I can guarantee you that the judge will have some mighty hard questions for you.

For example, why weren't YOU watching your $800 camera?

(That's just for starters.)

glennlyvers

Not sure...

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Not to be curt, but I guess anything can be filed and then found out. But what I wanted to ask, and failed to properly convey, was if there is a precedent or if I have a strong case. Of course I know you only have one side but from my perspective, if I can convey my point properly, what does your gut tell you?

More details...

I actually handed the case with my flash to him, after I had shown him the item and explained the value of it. I specifically asked if he would watch over it for a few minutes, I did not just say "watch this for me I'll be right back"... I said "will you watch my things for me" while handing him the item which we had already discussed he verbally agreed.

To answer your question (why I did not carry it myself), I was already carrying my camera and I wanted to buy a coke so I needed a free hand. There was in reality, another 30 minutes before our plane would start to board, and the few minutes I asked ofr were readily available.

dcatz

Gut or head, you didn’t like the answer and are looking for one that’s more satisfactory. You have my sympathy for the expensive lost accessory, but I also don’t think that you have a strong case. Use the “search” function for “voluntary bailment”. Note that the standard of care required is minimal when the bailment is solely for the benefit of the bailor (you). Your friend was arguably negligent with your property. Did he violate a legal duty that he owed to you? That he did is what you’ll have to convince a judge to have a strong case.

glennlyvers

thank you

Yes this answer was excellent and provided me with the info I needed. Thank you so very much, I sincerely appreciate your kind and generous effort to help a stranger. God Bless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">