• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ellesig

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

So, a friend of mine and I took a vacation to Cancun on Memorial Day weekend (2010). The price of the entire trip was $600 per person. The person could not pay right then. I had a verbal agreement with this person to cover $200 of their half, which left them owing me $400. I have text messages confirming this verbal agreement. After the trip, I reconfirmed with the person, hey, you will be paying me $400, correct? They said yes.

Needless to say it became apparent this person has no intention of paying me back. They've change their story to "You knew I had no money and booked the trip anyway." I've demanded the money numerous times. I also told the person since they did not uphold their end of the bargain, They now owed me $600 instead of $400 ( I mean, I gave you $200 and you are still refusing to pay the difference...at this point, I'm thinking, I am not going to uphold my end of the bargain and you owe me for the full cost of the trip.)

I am preparing to file for this money. I plan on suing this ex-friend for $600+ the cost of me filing this claim, about ~$150 + $300 for time lost at work.

I don't know if I'll get the other money I at least want the $600 and I don't feel like I should have to pay these fees, as they could have been avoided if the person simply GAVE me my money.

Do I have a case?

They also have a $60 video game of mine that I really want back.

For documentation I have printouts of the text conversation, a copy of the purchased trip ticket WITH the persons name on it...I also know for a fact they have the money as the person was on their twitter account, bragging about buying drinks, etc.

What do you think? I've never sued anyone before :confused:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

So, a friend of mine and I took a vacation to Cancun on Memorial Day weekend (2010). The price of the entire trip was $600 per person. The person could not pay right then. I had a verbal agreement with this person to cover $200 of their half, which left them owing me $400. I have text messages confirming this verbal agreement. After the trip, I reconfirmed with the person, hey, you will be paying me $400, correct? They said yes.

Needless to say it became apparent this person has no intention of paying me back. They've change their story to "You knew I had no money and booked the trip anyway." I've demanded the money numerous times. I also told the person since they did not uphold their end of the bargain, They now owed me $600 instead of $400 ( I mean, I gave you $200 and you are still refusing to pay the difference...at this point, I'm thinking, I am not going to uphold my end of the bargain and you owe me for the full cost of the trip.)

I am preparing to file for this money. I plan on suing this ex-friend for $600+ the cost of me filing this claim, about ~$150 + $300 for time lost at work.

I don't know if I'll get the other money I at least want the $600 and I don't feel like I should have to pay these fees, as they could have been avoided if the person simply GAVE me my money.

Do I have a case?

They also have a $60 video game of mine that I really want back.

For documentation I have printouts of the text conversation, a copy of the purchased trip ticket WITH the persons name on it...I also know for a fact they have the money as the person was on their twitter account, bragging about buying drinks, etc.

What do you think? I've never sued anyone before :confused:

**A: I think you got a good chance to get the loan back but nothing else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">