• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpr13

I live in Wisconsin.

3 weeks ago I had a small plumbing leak in my heating system. It was only caused a 2x2 foot wet patch on my carpet. I called a heating and plumbing company and they came and fixed the leak...but then they caused a different leak on my furnace and it flooded about 800 sq ft of my basement, 300 of which is carpet. Servpro came and cleaned the mess up and made a have ass attempt at puting the carpet back down after it dried. The heating and plumbing company has said they will pay for servpro but in my eyes that is not enough.
When I first saw the massive leak they caused I almost had a panic attack. Then even though servpro came and started cleaning things up I still sit up nights worrying about mold (my wife is 3 months pregnant) and worrying if there is going to be another leak. I have lost a considerable amount of sleep over this. I was also in the proccess of refinancing my house and the appraiser was coming over the day after the leak but told me I needed to cancel until the situation was finished and the house was back up to 100%. My wife and I were also holding christmass at our house (about 25 people) but because of they leak we had to cancel because without the use of our finished basment the house is to small to host that many people. We also do not have use of our master bath downstairs because of the mess and has caused us to completely change our morning routine (getting up earlier) because we are down to one bathroom. This has been going on for about two to three weeks now and there is still no end in sight because they are trying to figure out if they want to replace the carpet or just fix spots of it. (keep in mind that the basment was BRAND NEW as of two days before the mess up. (new drywall, new ceiling, new lights, electrical, carpet, windows...) obviously not all of that was damaged but I am just trying to get the point accross that I have not been able to use my brand new basment because of their mess up.
I would like to sue them for damages, but I do not know where to start and what amount I should ask for. Can anyone give me some tips? or atleast tell me what I could ask for?

Thanks, Ryan

P.S. I am sure I forgot some things so if you have any questions feel free to ask. And who knows, I could be way out of line and have absolutly no case...but I guess thats what I will find out!

And who knows, I could be way out of line and have absolutly no case...but I guess thats what I will find out!
I believe (and hopefully, someone will correct me if I am wrong) that you are entitled to reimbursement for the cleaning service, but no more.

The rest (loss of sleep, loss of enjoyment of your basement, Christmas plans being sent awry) are part and parcel of the "bumps and bruises of life." And not actionable.

I could be wrong though. But I don't think so. :/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">