• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xact

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Well here is the situation. I have given a woman, over the past year, more than $15,000 for various expenses which, I have discovered, have been almost completely false. This woman lives in Kentucky. She has never provided proof of any expenses I've always taken her word. I kept over 100 emails, and about 8000 txt messages that establish our relationship and prove that she did indeed ask for X amount of money for Y expense because I had the sinking feeling I would need them.

I also have western union and bank wire records of said transfers.

My stupidity in trusting this person aside... Do I have a case to sue?

LdiJ

Well here is the situation. I have given a woman, over the past year, more than $15,000 for various expenses which, I have discovered, have been almost completely false. This woman lives in Kentucky. She has never provided proof of any expenses I've always taken her word. I kept over 100 emails, and about 8000 txt messages that establish our relationship and prove that she did indeed ask for X amount of money for Y expense because I had the sinking feeling I would need them.

What is the context of these expenses?

xact

Many bills, multiple car repairs, trip expenses, moving expenses, a grandfathers funeral expenses. Lots of things that their would be record of if they were real.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Many bills, multiple car repairs, trip expenses, moving expenses, a grandfathers funeral expenses. Lots of things that their would be record of if they were real.
Did you send this money expecting that it would be returned?

xact

Did you send this money expecting that it would be returned?
No I did not, I stated to her multiple times that she owed me nothing. But she stated multiple times she would pay me back anyways. I told her she didn't need to pay me back, that she could just help me pay off the loans (I had to borrow from family to get a good deal of the money). That probably kills it right?

Edit: The owes me nothing part was because I assumed she was telling the truth, I don't suppose it makes a difference legally that she wasn't?

PaulMass

You may have a valid claim for fraud. Unfortunately, I suspect that even if you win, you will have a difficult time collecting the judgment.

I believe you were scammed. Wire transfers and western union scream of fraud.

You can try contacting the police where she claims she lives. I would doubt she really lives there.

If you never met this person face to face, it's probably not even worth the cost of the phone call to Kentucky.

OHRoadwarrior

I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Many men at least get the comfort of the woman scamming them warming their bed. It appears everything you gave was a voluntary gift, regardless of how naive you were in giving it. I would write this off to experience and not allow yourself to be scammed again.

Just Blue

Do you KNOW this woman? Ever meet her? Or just an online "friend"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">