• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timmie95

I went to a woman & had her do my hair I showed her many pics of how I wanted it braided. At the end my hair looked nothing like the picture. I asked for small braids & came out with HUGE braids. I did pay because she said she would fix it but after we were unable to meet due to conflicting work schedules & lack of transportation She refused to give me my money back. She is not licensed I did not know you had to be to braid hair. I now have to go somewhere else to get my hair done. I have texts that show what I asked for & what I received & me trying to compromise & get some of my money back. Do I have a case?

Proserpina

I went to a woman & had her do my hair I showed her many pics of how I wanted it braided. At the end my hair looked nothing like the picture. I asked for small braids & came out with HUGE braids. I did pay because she said she would fix it but after we were unable to meet due to conflicting work schedules & lack of transportation She refused to give me my money back. She is not licensed I did not know you had to be to braid hair. I now have to go somewhere else to get my hair done. I have texts that show what I asked for & what I received & me trying to compromise & get some of my money back. Do I have a case?
Where are you located? (Which US state)

Proserpina

Thanks for clarifying your state, Timmie.

I've tried to go into at least a bit of detail explaining, rather than give you a flat out "no".

You have a couple of problems here, the first being with styling itself. Courts have, in every state, determined that hair styling is by its very nature open to interpretation or modification and simply not liking the result does not support a suit at all except in very rare cases where there has been actual hair ruination AND it was shown that the stylist was actually negligent. The other problem is that even if you were to obtain a judgment, the chances of collecting it are slim at best and even more slim if your particular stylist is self-employed.

How long has it been since you tried to arrange a fix-it appointment? Would you be still open to that as a form of resolution?

I think that might be your best bet.

(I'm not talking about suits concerning physical injury to the client - that's a different game completely)

latigo

Does anyone have a spare box of tissue and an extra laptop? I think I just drowned mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">