• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against this trooper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McGoogly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I went through my school's (William Penn High School) lunch line like I have been doing for 4 years I asked the cafeteria worker for a pizza just like any other day. When I went to go enter my lunch pin it said I owed $2.50, I said "I'm very hungry and I don't have money, can this one slide?” The woman at the register didn't know what to say so she asked the cafeteria manager. She offered to put up some change for my lunch and I kindly accepted and she said "But you owe me lunch tomorrow" I laughed and agreed. But then I said "It shouldn't be your job to pay for my lunch, It should be the schools obligation." And she said "Well lets see what the administrators have to say" so I followed her over to the administrators and the officer (Corporal Collins) brought himself into the dispute. All I said to the administrator was that I think it's the schools obligation to feed every student that attends a full day, regardless of if they can afford lunch or not, and they insisted that it wasn't. I didn't want the dispute to continue so I said "**** it" To myself and lightly underhand tossed the pizza on the serving line platform that I was standing directly next to. I did not aggressively throw the tray, there was juice on the tray that didn't even spill and the pizza didn't shift upon landing.(It happened in a cafeteria so there are plenty of people to back up my story.). As soon as this happened the officer grabbed me by my throat and slammed me up against the serving line with all of his strength, leaving bruises on my back and a purple mark on my neck, and he held me like this for about 30 seconds before I grabbed his wrist. I did NOT try to push him away or stop him from subduing me, I was not resisting arrest, I simply didn't want my windpipe crushed because the choke was very painful. He held me in this position with his right hand on my neck and his left hand on my shirt balled up like a bully would do to a kid for the sole purpose of taunting me. The hundreds of people in the cafeteria saw him keep me in this position and heard him taunt me for a full minute and a half. After about a minute and a half, he ripped my shirt by the neckline all the way down to my torso, and both sides of the sleeves were ripped. This is when he finally told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back. When we got to his office, I was still in cuffs and under arrest and he began calling me a punk delinquent kid, and at some point he called me an *******. He also asked me a series of questions without first reading me my Miranda rights. The law states: "The police must advise suspects of their "Miranda Rights" - their right to remain silent, and the right to an appointed attorney if they are unable to afford counsel - prior to conducting a custodial interrogation." He had conducted a custodial interrogation by asking me a series of questions while still in cuffs, such as "Could you breath when I choked you?" And I answered "Yeah only after I grabbed your arm" After the interrogation he decided to let me off with a warning. As soon as I got home, my parents and I took pictures of the bruises, the mark on my neck, and a picture of me wearing the totaled shirt.
The next Monday,(After my 5 day suspension) my parents came in to talk to the officer about what happened. As soon as I sat down in his office and calmly told him these facts that I have stated above, and I was trying to quote the legal definitions of the laws he broke and he got out of his seat, put his face to mine, and screamed at me that "This is my house and what I says goes. Get the hell out of my office!" This causes my mother to cry and my father just looked in disbelief. His coarse language was completely uncalled for and unprofessional. While I was sitting outside of his office he asked my dad for the ripped shirt several times because he wanted to discard it. My dad said no every time he asked because he knows it's evidence. When he called me back into his office he was more calm but he told me to stop being "an *******" Then told us all to leave his office. I have physical proof that he used more than the minimal amount of force necessary and a whole cafeteria full of witnesses to back up that claim. After this whole situation it triggered a manic depressive state, and severe night terrors which made me think about suicide. (I have attempted suicide in the past via cutting an artery in my forearm, and attempting to OD on pills.)

On 10/11/11, My parents and I went to a meeting with the school principal Mr. White with regards to the note from my licensed psychiatrist, Manisha Wadhwa MD. The Corporal did not accept the note because it made him ‘uncomfortable’ that it stated that the incident with him caused my emotional distress. In this same meeting, the Corporal told my Father that if we complain to anyone about what he did, he will have me arrested for two years. I know my law very well, and I know that is way outside of the law.

My homeschool teacher informed me that the same officer got removed from Penn Cader for harassing a student there aswell, and a Marine friend of mine was telling me how a lunch lady wanted to let him slide on the $2 he owed but the officer was in the line and wouldn’t allow it, so he too grabbed the Marine by his neck and was removed from the school within two days.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't know your law at all - Miranda wasn't required in your circumstances. In the future, I suggest that you not smart-off to the police officer.

Oh, and you have no case against the officer.

tranquility

The officer, I believe, used excessive force for the situation. (Believing the OP.) There were other actions as well which were beyond legal, including the crime of extortion.

Either this trooper should not be a trooper any longer (maybe jail), OR the OP's recitation of facts is missing a few important ones.

OP's a jerk. But, he's not a paid, purported professional with awesome duties and powers. We expect more from such employees.

tranquility

Civil rights claims can be filed in Delaware small claims court.

Since the limit is $15,000, that amount may be enough to cover the OP's damages. If not, he needs an attorney to evaluate the case. (He needs one anyway as, depending on the particular cause(s) of action, the case may be removed to a higher or federal court. The State [or other government employer] tends to remove cases so they know all the procedure and make it harder for nuisance suits to be successfully prosecuted.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I stand by my post. My inference from the OP was different than yours. So, I simply disagree with you Tranq :)

tranquility

I stand by my post. My inference from the OP was different than yours. So, I simply disagree with you Tranq
Your theory of America is far different from mine. In mine, the police are not allowed to use a c-clamp on the neck of a petulant child who is not endangering anyone and then commit the felony of extortion under color of authority in an attempt to prevent the victim from using his legal remedies.

While your mileage may vary, if such comes to pass in our land, I join the revolution.

LdiJ

Your theory of America is far different from mine. In mine, the police are not allowed to use a c-clamp on the neck of a petulant child who is not endangering anyone and then commit the felony of extortion under color of authority in an attempt to prevent the victim from using his legal remedies.

While your mileage may vary, if such comes to pass in our land, I join the revolution.
I agree with you. The officer was way out of line. The OP's parents should move up the line to the school superintendent. That officer has no business working in a school setting.

After reading this, I cannot help but interject. As the son of a 35 year veteran police officer. I am mortified by this officer's conduct. (assuming your version is accurate). Even if it isn't, short of you having a weapon or making a direct threat, the excessive use of force is apparent. I would even dare to go as far as to call this a felony assault.

I would start before even considering a civil case against the officer I would consider taking more direct action. I would file assault chargers on the officer. At least in my state, you need not call the police to do this, you can go in person to the commissioners office and file criminal charges yourself against the person.

Are you sure you were under arrest? A police officer I believe can cuff you without being under arrest. What you believe to of been an arrest may have actually been a "detainment".

The police officer telling your family that you will have you "arrested for 2 years" tells me the police officer was in the wrong for assaulting you and HE KNOWS IT. It is a mere intimidation tactic. Do not believe anything he says, I would not attempt to speak with him further. He has nothing to charge you with. None of the advice I'm giving you can be taken as gospel because I'm not a lawyer, but neither is this police officer. He has no say in how much time you'd serve assuming there was a crime you commited anyway. Police merely recommend charges to the DA. District Attorneys ultimately decide what (if any) charges will be filed.

Absolutely, at bare minimum, find out who supervises this disgrace to the uniform police officer and file a report with them. Nobody is allowed to commit an assault on another person, police officer or not. After that is done, I would consider that you may be selling yourself short filing in small claims. You may have a case that could be settled for substantially more, especially considering (it it is true) that this police officer has already been kicked out of another school for improper behavior.

BTW, in Civil court, a criminal conviction almost guarantees a judgment in your favor as a victim. In a criminal proceeding, a Guilty ruling is the highest standard that can be applied, it means beyond a shadow of a doubt, you are guilty of this crime.. In a civil court the standard is lower, its just more evidence you are guilty of it than not. I would consider consulting an attorney for litigation against both the school and the officer.

Last edited:
Additional Information:

I actually did some research on this. As far as I can tell there are no specific laws that provide that a school MUST provide a free lunch to students who cannot afford them. (much to my surprise I might add). There are requirements that if schools participate in the National school lunch program that they have to if their parents meet certain critera regarding income. However, theres no law the the school in question HAS to participate in the program in the first place.

As far as Miranda rights. I don't completely understand it, but there are exceptions. Specifically, if you waive them by talking to the officer voluntarily before he/she has a chance to make you aware of these rights. Generally, its best to always remain silent when in custody of the police. The Miranda warning isn't kidding when they say anything you say can and will be used against you. For example, If a murder is committed in Sheboygan, WI, and you live in this town and a police officer asks you where you were the date the crime was committed. You don't have to answer them and say "I was in Sheboygan, but I didn't do it". This would place the burden of proof on the prosecution that you WERE EVEN IN the town the murder was committed.

Police are allowed to use some very dirty tricks to get suspects to incriminate themselves. The most common I have seen is lying to a suspect that if they confess they will "help you out with the District Attorney". Police cannot make deals with the DA for reduced/sentences, but they are allowed to lie and pretend that they are. Not really important for this situation, but something you may want to keep in mind.

Since you don't indicate that you were ever charged with a crime, I doubt you were ever "under arrest" at any point in time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">