• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case? Salvage Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Browns1621

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello, this is my first post on this site and the first time I've ever felt the need to take someone to court.

Basically, In March of 2011 my neighbor and I split the purchase of a car $1,500 ea. He was going to fix it up and sell it. His name is on the title. After failed attempts to sell the car privately he took the car to auction where he states the car somehow got a salvage title put on it making the car unsellable.

I have not seen any paper work or the car in months and I am still out my $1,500. Would my case hold up in small claims court?

Last edited:

Antigone*

Hello, this is my first post on this site and the first time I've ever felt the need to take someone to court.

Basically, In March of 2011 my neighbor and I split the purchase of a car $1,500 ea. He was going to fix it up and sell it. His name is on the title. After failed attempts to sell the car privately he took the car to auction where he states the car somehow got a salvage title put on it making the car unsellable.

I have not seen any paper work or the car in months and I am still out my $1,500. Would my case hold up in small claims court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
US Law Only.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have not seen any paper work or the car in months and I am still out my $1,500. Would my case hold up in small claims court?
What was your agreement on repayment to you ?

Check your State's DMV site about salvage vehicles and salvage titles.

Maybe your neighbor is giving you a line of baloney.

It could have been a salvaged vehicle needing to be repair and cleared by the DMV.

If it was cleared by DMV the title still may state salvage.

I'd say time to have a little chat with your neighbor after checking DMV and have a look at the paperwork .

Depending on your agreement you may or may not have a case in small claims.

Browns1621

Unfortunately I did not look at the title before giving him the check. The terms were pretty simple we split the cost of the car, he agreed to do some minor upgrades to the car and sell it. I guess my question is if he bought it with a clean title and then through whatever reason had a salvage tag put on it am I out the money I put into the car if the salvage title was put on it in his possession.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How much did you expect to get out of the car? Half of what it sells for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">