• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case for Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ibrox

I live in Texas and have never used the Small Claim Court before. I have given a loan of $3,000.00 to a colleague over 18 months ago when he was having cash flow problems and did not have sufficient funds to cover his escrow. At the time he assured me he will pay back in 3 montly installments. Soon after he apears to have gone from problem to problem and he has returned only $800.00. He continues to make promisses and not keep them.
Today I have found out that he owes money to 2 other colleagues. I am fed up having to listen to his excusses and trutfully I can not trust a word he's saying anymore. I am thinking of writing a registered letter demanding payment or start proseedings for small claim court case. Please help, your advise is more than welcome! Thanks

dcatz

Have you got any documentation to support the fact of the loan, or was it all verbal assurances?

Either way, start your case before your colleagues get in line ahead of you. Written support would just make things less difficult and, if he's taking a bite out of everybody, you may have some collection problems, but things are not likely to get better by waiting.

If the partial payments that he did make were by check, it would be nice if you made copies or recorded the banking information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">