• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a claim, please HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmaxwell30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Hi ok about 2 weeks ago a friend of mine comitted suicide. prior to that I had been living with him, the electric is on in my name. all of my belongings were there. i was in the hospital for a few days for blood clots and when i was discharged i called my friend with no answer. i called his mother who also lives in the home the next day and wanted to come pick up my belongings because i was moving back into my mothers. i was informed to contact the local police who told me he had taken his life. however that a family member had brought my bags to the station for me to pick up. i had active warrants and was arrested, 4 days later i was released and found out only one book bag was returned. All of my belongings were suposedly taken to good will by the family. i want to know what legal actions i can take, possibly in small claims court. Not only all the clothes i own are gone but irreplaceable things like family jewelry and my class ring are now gone. i was never given an option to get my things and now i dont know what to do.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Hi ok about 2 weeks ago a friend of mine comitted suicide. prior to that I had been living with him, the electric is on in my name. all of my belongings were there. i was in the hospital for a few days for blood clots and when i was discharged i called my friend with no answer. i called his mother who also lives in the home the next day and wanted to come pick up my belongings because i was moving back into my mothers. i was informed to contact the local police who told me he had taken his life. however that a family member had brought my bags to the station for me to pick up. i had active warrants and was arrested, 4 days later i was released and found out only one book bag was returned. All of my belongings were suposedly taken to good will by the family. i want to know what legal actions i can take, possibly in small claims court. Not only all the clothes i own are gone but irreplaceable things like family jewelry and my class ring are now gone. i was never given an option to get my things and now i dont know what to do.
A lot happened when you were in the hospital.

You could potentially sue the mother of your recently-deceased friend for the amount of your personal possessions that were disposed of by your friend's family without notification to you and without your authorization. You should make a list of these belongings and estimate their value (if you have receipts, that is a plus).

If you are on a lease with the friend and his mother, and if you are responsible for the electricity or rent or other expenses related to the house you occupied with them, this will need to be taken care of and it appears you will also need to take care of the legal issues that led to active warrants and your arrest. Having an attorney help you would probably be smart.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">