• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to give the stuff back....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisak38

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My boyfriend lived with me for almost 2 years. Half way through the relationship I bought a new house. His parents were nice enough to buy us our appliances and a new mattress. 10 months after they bought the stuff we broke up.
He left and left ALL of his stuff. He keeps threatening to "empty the house". I really would like to pay him for the appliances that his parents bought but he is refusing to let me do that. He wants them just to make it difficult for me.
The microwave they bought is bolted to my wall. Can he just take it? The other appliances are a stove and refrigerator. I was willing to pay exactly what they were purchased for.
Also he gave his friend my washer and dryer and put his in my house. Now he wants those back also. of course not getting mine back.

Thanks

LisaWhat is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My boyfriend lived with me for almost 2 years. Half way through the relationship I bought a new house. His parents were nice enough to buy us our appliances and a new mattress. 10 months after they bought the stuff we broke up.
He left and left ALL of his stuff. He keeps threatening to "empty the house". I really would like to pay him for the appliances that his parents bought but he is refusing to let me do that. He wants them just to make it difficult for me.
The microwave they bought is bolted to my wall. Can he just take it? The other appliances are a stove and refrigerator. I was willing to pay exactly what they were purchased for.
Also he gave his friend my washer and dryer and put his in my house. Now he wants those back also. of course not getting mine back.

Thanks

LisaWhat is the name of your state?
the simple answer is yes, they are his and he has a right to retrieve them. You, on the other hand, do not have a right to withhold them from him.

Of course, if you both continue acting like children, he'll simply sue you for the recovery and the court will step in.

lisak38

What?

What in the heck are you talking about? How am I acting like a child? I have been storing his stuff for months for free. I am not KEEPING anythng from him. I offered to pay for the stuff.

lisak38

and also...

the stuff is not HIS. It's ours. They were bought as a gift for US. I would never keep the stuff because it was a gift from HIS parents but I was also trying to be nice and pay for the stuff that he left abandoned at my house.

seniorjudge

the stuff is not HIS. It's ours. They were bought as a gift for US. I would never keep the stuff because it was a gift from HIS parents but I was also trying to be nice and pay for the stuff that he left abandoned at my house.

Let the court decides what is whose and how much whoever owes the other (if anything).

These "common law divorce" cases are very common in small claims court.

You will just have to tell your side and let the judge make a decision.

lisak38

who really wants to go to court...

You try to be a nice person. Letting him store his stuff for free. Offering to give CASH for the stuff. Lowe's will deliver the exact same stuff to where ever he wants it. I WAS WILLING TO PAY. The stuff would be brand new. My only fear and complaint was how my walls and possibly my wood floors were going to be ruined by moving the stuff.
Depressing. Thanks for the posts though. I really do appreciate it.

BelizeBreeze

You try to be a nice person. Letting him store his stuff for free. Offering to give CASH for the stuff. Lowe's will deliver the exact same stuff to where ever he wants it. I WAS WILLING TO PAY. The stuff would be brand new. My only fear and complaint was how my walls and possibly my wood floors were going to be ruined by moving the stuff.
Depressing. Thanks for the posts though. I really do appreciate it.
Offering to pay for HIS belongings is irrelevant. or do you think his parents are going to admit in open court that they gave YOU and HIM the things instead of gifting them to him?

Write him a certified (RRR) letter demanding he come retrieve his things within 5 days from receipt of the letter or you will have them waiting on the lawn for him.

gawm

If she is willing to pay him what the items are worth, isn't that all he would be entitled to if he did sue her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">