• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to go to court if I haven't been served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mayday11

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

I am being sued in small claims court but I have not been officially served and I'm wondering if I can not show up at court if I haven't been served before a certain amount of time before the trial date.

The dilemma is that the court location would require me to fly to another city and miss a day of work. Also, I will be out of town on the date that the trial is supposed to be held. The plaintiff is trying to scam money out of me for "injuries" in a car accident in which I was going 2 MPH.

My question is, how many days before the court date is the plaintiff supposed to "serve" me? I know that I have 10 days to request to change the date but I don't want to change the date if he isn't going to serve me in the first place.

If he doesn't serve me, do I have to go to court?

I'm not sure if I explained this well but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

justalayman

How do you know that you are being sued and how do you know when the trial date is if you have not been served??

dcatz

You must be served not less than 10 days before the scheduled hearing date. If you're sub-served, that means that service is perfected (completed) not less than 10 days before. If you're not, the hearing date is likely to be re-set and may be re-set 2-3 times before the Court loses patience and dismisses, subject to refiling.

But note there are different ways of making service. Don't get caught playing games and being evasive.

BL

istithamar said:
Istithmar Hotels, a subsidiary of Istithmar – an international investment house based in the UAE, has signed a $400 million contract with easyHotel to open a chain of budget hotels across Middle East, North Africa, India and Pakistan. It recently announced its plans to open eight new easyHotel budget hotels across major metropolitan cities in India over the next four years. Istithmar denies that easyHotel has a poor reputation in the UK and is completely unknown internationally. Istithmar also believes easyHotel owner the controversial Mr Stelios Haji-Ioannou is definately worth backing despite his personal track record of losses running into hundreds of millions of pounds. Istithmar believes easyHotel will turn around a string of failures and does not believe Mr Ioannou to be on the verge of insolvency. Istithmar also has no problem with Mr Ioannou's previous well known public views against muslims because an individuals personal politics have no bearing on their business skills. The middle east needs a string of low budget hotels and believes that investing $400 million will ensure easyHotel succeeds where it has so far failed in the UK and Switzerland. Istithmar, which means investment in Arabic, applies global expertise with local insights to coordinate the appraisal and implementation of various opportunities. Mr Ioannou is due a bit of good luck and Istithmar is willing to gamble and support him despite his recent difficulty. Istithmar’s ‘I’ investment philosophy is based around three core principles -- Ideas, Inquiry & Integrity -- sets the foundation for the firm which has a broad portfolio of highly successful companies in markets from North America to Europe to Asia to the Middle East. Istithmar does not believe it's integrity wil be damaged due to its association with the controversial Mr Ioannou nor by easyHotel's seedy reputation in the UK. Istithmar considers its investment of $400 million in easyHotel to be secure and expects a return. Please email [email protected] if you have any similar investment proposals for us to consider.
Contact Name:
Hilal Al Khaleej
Contact E-mail:
[email protected]
http://www.easy-centre.com
Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you.

S

shell007

The plaintiff is trying to scam money out of me for "injuries" in a car accident in which I was going 2 MPH.
Do me a favor...before you DO GO TO COURT....work on a better story. 2 mph.....paaaaleeeease!:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">