• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a good case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skech84

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was diagnosed with a depression/anxiety disorder over a year ago and have been on and off medication as needed. I moved in with my best friend in August agreeing to pay half of the rent but never signed a lease or anything. She was the only one who signed the lease. I started having problems with my anxiety and depression again because of problems with her and was put back on medication 2 weeks ago. I had become too stressed out because all I ever did was try to make things easier for her. I watched her two kids on my nights off and I even paid a cash store loan off for her in the amount of a little over $500. She agreed to pay my half of the rent that month and pay me back the rest as she could. I continued to have problems and my anxiety and stress level just got worse so I told her on a Sunday that I was moving out the following Tuesday. She got mad and told me if I was leaving I was to be out by the time she got off work that night! She is now saying that she will not pay me back the rest of the money I loaned her because she had to pay the entire rent this month! I have proof of the check I wrote for cash on the same day and for 5 dollars more than the amount of the loan payoff. I was also the one who went into the cash store and paid for the loan even though it was in her name! Do I have a good case and chance of getting my money back?

S

seniorjudge

You can sue her in small claims and see if you can win.

If you win, however, I do not know how you will collect your judgment.

If I were you (and I am not) I'd leave and be happy I was gone away from that person.

Good luck....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">