• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a legitimate case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mel31

What is the name of your state? FL , Orlando

I went on a trip with a friend (now ex-friend) and wrote her a check for a 3-night stay at a hotel. She got us evicted from the hotel due to her disorderly behavior after the first night so we did not stay the other 2 nights. I confirmed with the hotel that she was refunded on her credit card for the 2 nights (the reservation was under her name.) However, she will not pay me back what I paid her for the 2 nights. Plus, she left me stranded in Miami Beach so I had to take a bus back to Orlando, which cost me $40.

Can I sue this girl for the money she owes me for the unfulfilled stay at the hotel and the bus fare? Also, how do you prove anything if cash is involved? I paid by check as mentioned for the room, however, also gave her a $20 cash deposit.

CalifAtty...

mel31 said:
What is the name of your state? FL , Orlando

I went on a trip with a friend (now ex-friend) and wrote her a check for a 3-night stay at a hotel. She got us evicted from the hotel due to her disorderly behavior after the first night so we did not stay the other 2 nights. I confirmed with the hotel that she was refunded on her credit card for the 2 nights (the reservation was under her name.) However, she will not pay me back what I paid her for the 2 nights. Plus, she left me stranded in Miami Beach so I had to take a bus back to Orlando, which cost me $40.

Can I sue this girl for the money she owes me for the unfulfilled stay at the hotel and the bus fare? Also, how do you prove anything if cash is involved? I paid by check as mentioned for the room, however, also gave her a $20 cash deposit.

My response:

What were the accommodations; e.g., were you in the same room?

Do you have written proof of the "cause" of the eviction, and "whom" was evicted?

Were you included in the "cause" of the eviction?

IAAL

mel31

Yes, we were in the same room, yes, the hotel is supposed to fax me a letter stating she was the cause of the eviction & that I'm innocent and no, I am not listed in the cause of the eviction, only her.

CalifAtty...

mel31 said:
Yes, we were in the same room, yes, the hotel is supposed to fax me a letter stating she was the cause of the eviction & that I'm innocent and no, I am not listed in the cause of the eviction, only her.

My response:

Okay. Once you get your documentation from the hotel, then sue her. You can forget about the $20.00, though. You have no proof. So, unless she admits to that amount in court, you won't get it. But, as to everything else, and with all of your proof, it sounds like a good case - - including your bus fare.

Edit: Just make sure that you are 100% "clear" when you read your paperwork from the hotel. Courts do not award damages when the complaining party has "unclean hands."

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">