• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geordaneo

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My ex girlfriend contacted me the other day over a year after we broke up to say I owe her $250 and can either pay her or she'll file in small claims court. She claims I owe the money because when I bought my truck 5 years ago, she had sold her old car and put $250 toward my purchase of the truck....The problem is that I need her to sign the title transfer for my truck, we are both listed on it. I willingly signed the title transfer for her car which we were both listed on a year ago with the understanding that as soon as I had the title in my possession she'd do the same for me. I just finished paying it off and now I have the title which lists both of us, but she won't sign until I pay her $250....

What? Can she seriously take me to court? This doesn't even make sense.

Please advise!What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

geordaneo said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My ex girlfriend contacted me the other day over a year after we broke up to say I owe her $250 and can either pay her or she'll file in small claims court. She claims I owe the money because when I bought my truck 5 years ago, she had sold her old car and put $250 toward my purchase of the truck....The problem is that I need her to sign the title transfer for my truck, we are both listed on it. I willingly signed the title transfer for her car which we were both listed on a year ago with the understanding that as soon as I had the title in my possession she'd do the same for me. I just finished paying it off and now I have the title which lists both of us, but she won't sign until I pay her $250....

What? Can she seriously take me to court? This doesn't even make sense.

Please advise!What is the name of your state?
I suppose then the names are you AND her?

If so then she owns 1/2 of the truck. I suggest you pay her before she takes the truck ;)

geordaneo

even though she hasn't tried to claim it at all and I've been the sole owner this whole time? Oh, one more piece of info - I signed a document saying no more money was owed a year ago and six months ago I signed papers dissolving our domestic partnership, power of attorney, etc. Can she really hold this random $250 as an ultimatum over this truck? :confused:

Last edited:

Maiasaura

She can try. The question you have to ask your self is: Is it worth $250 to me to spend an entire day in court and produce paperwork for the last few years of my life?

BelizeBreeze

geordaneo said:
even though she hasn't tried to claim it at all and I've been the sole owner this whole time? Oh, one more piece of info - I signed a document saying no more money was owed a year ago and six months ago I signed papers dissolving our domestic partnership, power of attorney, etc. Can she really hold this random $250 as an ultimatum over this truck? :confused:
why do you think I ask questions? Ya think it's because I get paid by the word or that it MIGHT help to give you a LEGAL answer? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">