• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have the right to do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FRUSTRATEDAD56

florida
I am a resident of New York State. In Sept 2005, my 20 yr old daughter was hired at Disney World and moved to Florida where she shares an apartment with 2 other people she works with. In Feb. of 2006, she called to tell me that she loaned her car to one of her roomates who proceeded to fall asleep at the wheel, totaling the car. Fortunately no one was injured and other than my daughters car and a sign post on Disney property, there was no other property damage. A police report was filed, so the circumstances of the accident are on file. I advised my daughter to contact her insurance company and to my horror she admitted that she had forgotten to make her last insurance payment and was dropped. I then told her that her roommate was going to have to pay her for the balance of her car loan (approx. $5000) Because of what the roommate decribed as difficulty obtaining a loan, she allowed the roomate to take over the car payments, an agreement which I was totally against. Payment were made for a couple of months and then stopped. My daughters loan has now been turned over to collections and she doesn't want to sue her "friend". Because my daughter was not yet 21 at the time of the accident, do I have any legal right to sue this person for the balance of the car loan and do what I can to salvage whats left of her credit rating? If I have to go to Florida to pursue his matter, I gladly will
Thank you

xylene

Do you have any legal standing in this situation?

Who are you with respect to the car or loan?

I think you are being over-protective.

Daughter needs to learn from big mistake (dropping insurance on vehicle with lein.)

JETX

FRUSTRATEDAD56 said:
Because my daughter was not yet 21 at the time of the accident, do I have any legal right to sue this person for the balance of the car loan
Simple answer. No.

and do what I can to salvage whats left of her credit rating?
Nothing. She is an adult and you have NO say or involvement in her transactions. Heck, her creditors can't even talk to you without her permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">