• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have a shot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unfairreason

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

First some history…sorry its long!

Last summer, I signed up for classes at my county’s community college in Allegheny County, PA, CCAC. I also applied for Financial Aid. For two months I went back and fourth with CCAC. They would tell me they needed this document to only tell me later they didn’t need it. One employee would tell me one thing and the other something different- everything was a mess. Finally I am told that I am not getting financial aid. Two months later I get a notice from CCAC stating I was dropped from classes for non attendance…after further research I figure out that I did get financial aid, but wasn’t notified.

CCAC is now charging me $600 for the classes. They said it was my responsibility to make sure I was taken out of the classes after I found out I wasn’t getting financial aid. I didn’t think I was still registered because I received a “deregistration notice”, which stated I was no longer registered for any classes. CCAC denied my appeal of the charges twice because they can’t find the notice on file and I don’t have the original…but my copy is very clear and also bears the schools watermark (which takes up the majority of the paper). To me this is a clear case of miscommunication and disorganization on them and they are being very unreasonable and unfair!

Can I take them to small claims court? If, so do you think I have a chance of winning?

thanks

racer72

Can I take them to small claims court?
Nope, you haven't suffered any losses yet. Small claims only deals with actual monetary losses. You would have to sue in a higher court for recission of a contract.

JETX

To me this is a clear case of miscommunication and disorganization on them and they are being very unreasonable and unfair!
[
I agree. Simply show them your PROOF (the “deregistration notice" they sent you) and ask them to remove the charge.

unfairreason

[
I agree. Simply show them your PROOF (the “deregistration notice" they sent you) and ask them to remove the charge.
I did show them the deregistration notice as part of my appeal of the charges, but they denied my appeal because I don’t have the original, which would there for “invalidate “ there computer system that tracks accounts balance (because they say there system has no record of the notice). My counter argument to them was that standard business practice is to accept copies of documents and computers are not 100% accurate…just as they are asking me to “invalidate” their systems, they most likely can’t “validate” there systems an prove them to be 100% accurate.

unfairreason

Tell the school to sue YOU!
The account balance of $600 is set to go to a collections agency in a few days…they extended this until after they reviewed my appeal. So once it goes to the collection agency, then could I take them to small claims court?

Even if it doesn’t go to the collection agency, I’m still suffering losses…my right to pursue an education :)

CCAC will not allow me to take classes there or release any records until that money is paid. I have gone to this school before and have credits….so if I want to go to another college I wouldn’t be able to transfer those credits. Plus even if I didn’t want to transfer those credits, colleges still want your records from other places you attended.

unfairreason

Nope, you haven't suffered any losses yet. Small claims only deals with actual monetary losses. You would have to sue in a higher court for recission of a contract.
The account balance of $600 is set to go to a collections agency in a few days…they extended this until after they reviewed my appeal. So once it goes to the collection agency, then could I take them to small claims court?

Even if it doesn’t go to the collection agency, I’m still suffering losses…my right to pursue an education :)

CCAC will not allow me to take classes there or release any records until that money is paid. I have gone to this school before and have credits….so if I want to go to another college I wouldn’t be able to transfer those credits. Plus even if I didn’t want to transfer those credits, colleges still want your records from other places you attended.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Until you pay MONEY, you haven't suffered any DAMAGES. Tell them to sue you...INSIST upon it. Then, when you get a judgment in your favor, you can move forward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">