• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to travel to another state if subpoena for small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abuliaq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

One family member in Idah suing another in small claims (in Idaho). That person is calling and harrassing me, tyring to get me to say something that will prove him is right (he wants to be repaid for something that he gave as a gift to other family member).

This is over less than one thousand dollars, mind you. He threatens to have me "disposed on the witness stand" and tells me that I am lying because I don't remember everything he said about the gift.

Is it possible that I would have to travel over 2300 miles for this case? This person is very vindictive and would try to make me come out, if at all possible.

Please help

racer72

He/she will be liable for you travel costs if subpoena'd. It is for their benefit, not yours. The current rate is 48 cents a mile, plaintiff is liable for these costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">