• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needhelp4700

What is the name of your state? MA

I got a Small Claim notice this week, an insurance company is suing me and another girl for $8400 property damages.

The plaintiff's claim is as follow:

$8,334.22 property damage caused by the Defendants' negligence as a result of a motor vehicle accident on or about March 28, 2002 at or near xxx Street, boston, MA.

I got into an car accident March 2002, and I didn't have insurance at the time. The insurance company of the girl who hit me settled the calim at 50% my fault. They paid 50% of my damages.

I didn't think the accident hit any car, because we couldn't see it in the dark. And if it did, it must be a scratch or a dent, there is no where close to $8k

What should I do? should I hire a lawyer and have him/her to dismiss the claim? or i should try to negotiate myself?

Thanks!

lwpat

"should I hire a lawyer and have him/her to dismiss the claim"

Attorneys are not magicians. If you were at fault and hit another vehicle then you are liable and it is doubtful that an attorney can get the claim dismissed.

Was there a police report of the accident? If so do you have a copy? Was the other car mentioned in the report? Have you asked them to provide evidence to substantiate the claim?

"or i should try to negotiate myself?"

Based on your post I would say no.

N

needhelp4700

Thanks for your reply.

The accident was caused by another girl who hit me. The insurance company ruled that I was 50% at fault.

No police report, I called them, but no one came.

We filed an accident report, but Only my car and her car were mentioned in the report.

The only thing we might have damaged is a parked car.

They were suing both me and the person who hit me.

What is the maximum limit of Small Claim court in MA?

H

hexeliebe

The insurance company ruled that I was 50% at fault.
MY REPLY: Who cares what the insurance company says? Or do you always allow someone else to tell you you're in the wrong?

Unless you want the insurance company to give you legal advice, call an attorney. Otherwise you deserve what you get, and that's going to be whatever the insurance company wants to give you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">