• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I stand a chance of winning?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcarmel922

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Mississippi

basically I hired someone who I previously worked with who decorates to decorate for my wedding and reception. She never drew up a contract nor did she give us a price. My mother was the person to be paying her and she told my mother the day of the wedding at the reception the price which was $1800. Mind you I purchased all my own flowers, tulle, decorations, center-oieces, etc. She agreed to decorate the church and reception, and to do the things that I asked as far as decorations and set up. She did not do all the things asked of her and was still decoarting as guest were arriving at the reception. Bottom line is that my mother did not agree with the price she'd quoted verbally at the reception. My mother paid her $500 and asked for an itemized list, that "insulted" her and so she said that she did not want to deal with my mother any more. She told my mother that she only wanted to deal with me, and I told her that I was not that person would be paying her so that she would have to deal with my mother. I agreed to meet her at her home to get the itemized list and all of my things that she had taken from the reception. Once my husband and I got there she gave us the itemized list and refused to let us have our things until she received al of her money. I have receipts for all the items I ahve purchased. My mother has filed a claim in small claims court against her. The itemized list she had given us was just outrageous, came to a total of about $5200 for decorating, rental of some of her supplies, and labor. We never agreed on a price (because we never told the price until the day of the weding), there was no verbal agreement on paying any certaain anything. We asked her what was her fees several times and she would say that she would let us know something, and we went with that beacause I knew and trusted that her price would be reasonable ( no more than $1000). Well that was not the case. My question is does she have case without a contract, verbal agreement, and by giving us a price the day of and expecting to be paid even though we do not agree with the price. And can she keep my things even though I have the receipts? What steps can I take? And YES I have learned a very vaulable lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

racer72

Help us help you. Proper capitalization, sentence structure and grammar make posts much easier to read and understand. Remove about 1/3 of your post, hit the highlights and make it readable. You may then get a reply to your question.

accentsd

i think you're all a bunch of nit picking fools full of self importance: if you want to give advice give some, if not stop critiquing the way people write, it isn't an english forum. There are so many people here asking for help and all you lot can do is offer sarcasm. Total waste of time

S

shell007

accentsd said:
i think you're all a bunch of nit picking fools full of self importance: if you want to give advice give some, if not stop critiquing the way people write, it isn't an english forum. There are so many people here asking for help and all you lot can do is offer sarcasm. Total waste of time
AND YOUR LEGAL ADVICE WAS WHAT?????????????????? Maybe, I just missed it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It really helps when a post is easy to read. OP will get better and more responces that way!!!

fairisfair

accentsd said:
then quit wasting your time. . . . :rolleyes: buh bye!!

Poster, eliminate everything but the basic details and your legal question. These posters are right, you will get a much better response.

Last edited:
S

shell007

accentsd said:
already did quit and I feel like this because I needed some help and got some smart arse comment instead
BYE
I remember now....the Drape lady from the UK!!!:rolleyes:
I'm from the UK and have no idea how the smalls claims court work, she on the other hand is a millionaire, and I wonder if I can fight that.
If you would have shortened your post a little, you probably would have gotten an answer. Instead, you became defensive and GOT NOTHING!

fairisfair

accentsd said:
already did quit and I feel like this because I needed some help and got some smart arse comment instead
BYE

No, you were told the same thing, the volunteers on this site don't have time to read your entire life history, or the emotional aspects of your story, or what you think , or what your friends have told you. Had you followed the advice, you would have received the help you were looking for.

fairisfair

tcarmel922 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Mississippi

basically I hired someone who I previously worked with who decorates to decorate for my wedding and reception. She never drew up a contract nor did she give us a price. My mother was the person to be paying her and she told my mother the day of the wedding at the reception the price which was $1800. Mind you I purchased all my own flowers, tulle, decorations, center-oieces, etc. She agreed to decorate the church and reception, and to do the things that I asked as far as decorations and set up. She did not do all the things asked of her and was still decoarting as guest were arriving at the reception. Bottom line is that my mother did not agree with the price she'd quoted verbally at the reception. My mother paid her $500 and asked for an itemized list, that "insulted" her and so she said that she did not want to deal with my mother any more. She told my mother that she only wanted to deal with me, and I told her that I was not that person would be paying her so that she would have to deal with my mother. I agreed to meet her at her home to get the itemized list and all of my things that she had taken from the reception. Once my husband and I got there she gave us the itemized list and refused to let us have our things until she received al of her money. I have receipts for all the items I ahve purchased. My mother has filed a claim in small claims court against her. The itemized list she had given us was just outrageous, came to a total of about $5200 for decorating, rental of some of her supplies, and labor. We never agreed on a price (because we never told the price until the day of the weding), there was no verbal agreement on paying any certaain anything. We asked her what was her fees several times and she would say that she would let us know something, and we went with that beacause I knew and trusted that her price would be reasonable ( no more than $1000). Well that was not the case. My question is does she have case without a contract, verbal agreement, and by giving us a price the day of and expecting to be paid even though we do not agree with the price. And can she keep my things even though I have the receipts? What steps can I take? And YES I have learned a very vaulable lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is the value of these items covered in your mother's case in small claims? or are they separate from those costs? If so, you can file your own case in small claims to recover either the items or their value.

S

shell007

accentsd said:
Actually I was told to keep to the facts which I did
Entirely understand what are saying but I still maintain that you seem to be more fired up over this sort of thing than giving legal advice!!!!!as this has elicited more answers.
accentsd: You many continue to post your opinions on your OWN THREAD. This is now gotten waaaay off track since you felt the need to post your OWN PERSONAL FEELINGS HERE about this site.

OP: There ARE good people here who are willing to help. :)

badapple40

Sue her in replevin for the return of your goods. Or better yet, file theft charges against her. She doesn't have the right to put liens on your property for this sort of thing as far as I am aware. Expect her to countersue you for the "services" she allegedly rendered.

And I don't see where there was a contract here, so don't worry about her "list" or the price she quoted. He said she said usually loses.

Expect the judge to give her the reasonable value of her services, which sounds like maybe $750.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">