• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

messysituation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MARYLAND

In 2006 I asked a family member to take a $1k loan out for me which they did. I paid back maybe a $100 on it and then they along with their spouse got a debt consolidation loan and paid it off. They are now divorced and the spouse paid off all the debt including the loan which was included in the debt consolidation loan. I have not heard anything else about it. The family member has contacted me saying that they would now like the $1k which I refuse to pay them because they did not pay the loan balance off their spouse did which was very kind of them seeing that they were in Iraq fighting for our country and my family member was home cheating on them. And they paid off all the debt which was around $20k and did not file for adultery! But that's another story.

I am working on paying their spouse now the $1k. They claimed that they would take me to court and sue for the money. I think Maryland law Statute of Limitations is 3 years so legally they cannot sue for the money correct? And if I pay their spouse the money, and the family member still takes me to court, can I tell the court that I paid the spouse who actually paid the loan off or would I have to come up with another $1k to pay the family member?

Thank you in advance for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MARYLAND

In 2006 I asked a family member to take a $1k loan out for me which they did. I paid back maybe a $100 on it and then they along with their spouse got a debt consolidation loan and paid it off. They are now divorced and the spouse paid off all the debt including the loan which was included in the debt consolidation loan. I have not heard anything else about it. The family member has contacted me saying that they would now like the $1k which I refuse to pay them because they did not pay the loan balance off their spouse did which was very kind of them seeing that they were in Iraq fighting for our country and my family member was home cheating on them. And they paid off all the debt which was around $20k and did not file for adultery! But that's another story.

I am working on paying their spouse now the $1k. They claimed that they would take me to court and sue for the money. I think Maryland law Statute of Limitations is 3 years so legally they cannot sue for the money correct? And if I pay their spouse the money, and the family member still takes me to court, can I tell the court that I paid the spouse who actually paid the loan off or would I have to come up with another $1k to pay the family member?

Thank you in advance for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: why so confusing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">