• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does defendent have to be present

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wizkid

What is the name of your state? Texas
Does the defendent have to be present in a justice court suit or can her lawyer just show up on her behalf? Thanks in advance?

racer72

The defendant will be required to attend. In many states, legal representation in not allowed in small claim court.

JETX

"In many states, legal representation in not allowed in small claim court."
*** Yes, but that doesn't apply in Texas. So, the correct answer is...
Yes, the defendant must show up. If he/she doesn't, then you get a default judgment.

W

wizkid

Who asks the questions?

I read somewhere that I would be asking my witnesses questions. Is that correct? I thought the judge would be doing that.

HomeGuru

Re: Who asks the questions?

wizkid said:
I read somewhere that I would be asking my witnesses questions. Is that correct? I thought the judge would be doing that.
**A: no, I want to ask the questions?

W

wizkid

So the judge asks the questions?

Clarification: I will not be asking my witnesses questions?
You may be in a catatonic state but I'm in a state of confusion!

JETX

You can ask questions of the defendant. Some small claims courts will let you talk directly to them, some will ask you to ask the judge who will then ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">