• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awarner

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I'm from Alberta, Canada. My bf had his possessions stolen by his roommates when they moved and "forgot" to tell him while he was out of the house for a couple of hours. He filed a police report, but nothing has happened since. He know where the ex-roommates can be found (not where they live), but we've been advised that small claims court would be our only option. The total amount of property stolen was a little over $1000, but he has no paper work to prove anything. He most likely can't even prove (on paper) that he lived there. He was going to be going to court the day of or the day after this all happened. We think that they assumed he was going to go to jail, so they thought they wouldn't see him for a couple of years, but he's not going to jail at all. He was charged with assault (has a bit of a temper) so he's afraid of what his reaction might be if he tries to contact them himself. Let me know what you think of this story of mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails

awarner said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I'm from Alberta, Canada. My bf had his possessions stolen by his roommates when they moved and "forgot" to tell him while he was out of the house for a couple of hours. He filed a police report, but nothing has happened since. He know where the ex-roommates can be found (not where they live), but we've been advised that small claims court would be our only option. The total amount of property stolen was a little over $1000, but he has no paper work to prove anything. He most likely can't even prove (on paper) that he lived there. He was going to be going to court the day of or the day after this all happened. We think that they assumed he was going to go to jail, so they thought they wouldn't see him for a couple of years, but he's not going to jail at all. He was charged with assault (has a bit of a temper) so he's afraid of what his reaction might be if he tries to contact them himself. Let me know what you think of this story of mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">