• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texasep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I live in Texas. A year ago I asked a man that I was dating to get std testing, which I feel is a reasonable request during this day and age.. We dated for about a month. Over a year later he started calling me asking me to pay the supposed $1,300 bill because his insurance did not pay his claim. Am I legally obligated to do so? I told him that I would pay what I could monthly but, he wants the full amount. He is harassing me.

eerelations

You asked him to get tested, you didn't force him to at gunpoint. He could have refused to get tested, right? So based on this, he doesn't have a case.

However, you have told him you'd pay and that changes things. If he takes you to court, you may end up losing. Given that there's not way to be sure though, I'd wait until you're actually ordered by a judge to pay if I were you.

Regarding the harassment, there's nothing much you can do about that except stop answering his calls.

Texasep

Email response

Here was my exact response to him:

First, I need you to email me an itemized bill. *Second, I am not going to pay $1,000 for something I never agreed to pay. *With that said, I will send you what I can monthly but, ultimately you are responsible for making sure the bill is paid on time each month. *When I asked you for testing you could have declined but, I am thankful you didn't. *I don't know your insurance status and it has been over a year since I've heard from you. *You can't expect me to commit to paying your bill. *However, I will send you what I can. *But, like I said, you need to ensure your bill is paid on time. *I have enough bills of my own to worry about paying on time. *I'll send checks to your address within my means.
Respectfully,
Me

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here was my exact response to him:

First, I need you to email me an itemized bill. *Second, I am not going to pay $1,000 for something I never agreed to pay. *With that said, I will send you what I can monthly but, ultimately you are responsible for making sure the bill is paid on time each month. *When I asked you for testing you could have declined but, I am thankful you didn't. *I don't know your insurance status and it has been over a year since I've heard from you. *You can't expect me to commit to paying your bill. *However, I will send you what I can. *But, like I said, you need to ensure your bill is paid on time. *I have enough bills of my own to worry about paying on time. *I'll send checks to your address within my means.
Respectfully,
Me
Sounds to me like "what you can" pay is totally up to you. As mentioned previously, you have no legal (or even moral) obligation to pay anything.

tranquility

Unless he took the test because of your statement to pay, you owe nothing. Since the statement seems to have been made after the test was taken and insurance denied payment, I agree with the others.

On a side note, $1,300? How many diseases are tested for? My goodness, you kids today.

jiggy78

It was the cost of getting in your pants and he agreed to it. Don't pay this clown a penny. I would also tell him to stop contacting you and if he continues I would report the harrassment to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">