• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csyzr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I stayed in my roommates RV for an agreement of 200$ /month for `5 months which I payed. Some damages were incurred during my stay and now he's demanding 600$ from me within 2 months or he's suing me and kicking me out. Our agreement was verbal, there was no documentation on the exchange of rent per month (no receipts) and I never agreed to pay any damages that may occur. he has no actual proof we lived there at all. The 600$ is a made up number he is demanding. I don't think he has a case against me, what do you guys think?

BTW - Isn't what he's doing called extortion? demanding money or else consequences?

quincy

I stayed in my roommates RV for an agreement of 200$ /month for `5 months which I payed. Some damages were incurred during my stay and now he's demanding 600$ from me within 2 months or he's suing me and kicking me out. Our agreement was verbal, there was no documentation on the exchange of rent per month (no receipts) and I never agreed to pay any damages that may occur. he has no actual proof we lived there at all. The 600$ is a made up number he is demanding. I don't think he has a case against me, what do you guys think?

BTW - Isn't what he's doing called extortion? demanding money or else consequences?
Did you damage the RV? If so, your roommate can sue you for his costs to repair the damage.

It is not extortion when someone threatens to sue over what is legally owed that person.

Reto

If you damaged the RV then he is actually being nice to you because he is giving you two months. I'd have sued you AND kicked you out immediately. If he can prove the damages total 600.00 and can prove that you did it, then he can sue you in small claims and win, verbal agreement or not.

It's like, you come to my house and spend a week with me, you break my fine china, I want you to replace it, you don't...I can sue you. No difference.

Gail in Georgia

"I stayed in my roommates RV for an agreement of 200$ /month for `5 months which I payed. "

"Some damages were incurred during my stay"

" I don't think he has a case against me, what do you guys think?"

I think you're a complete idiot since you've just posted on the internet that damages incurred while you resided in the RV, thus proving what your roommate is claiming.

He has to prove that these damages add up to $600 worth.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">