• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have grounds to take me to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelloggb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
Hello. My ex-boyfriend is threatening to take me to court for $10,000 if I do not pay him $5,000 within the week for home improvements he made to my home and some expenses of mine he paid during our four years together. I do want to pay him back for helping me, but I can not afford $5,000 in one week's time. Does he have legal grounds to sue me? If so, will I be required to have an attorney? Thank you

seniorjudge

Q: Does he have legal grounds to sue me? If so, will I be required to have an attorney?

A: Yes; anyone may sue anybody at any time for any reason anywhere. And I always suggest people hire a lawyer to go to court. However, check your state's small claims laws. Some states do not allow lawyers in small claims courts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
Hello. My ex-boyfriend is threatening to take me to court for $10,000 if I do not pay him $5,000 within the week for home improvements he made to my home and some expenses of mine he paid during our four years together. I do want to pay him back for helping me, but I can not afford $5,000 in one week's time. Does he have legal grounds to sue me? If so, will I be required to have an attorney? Thank you
Yes, anybody may sue anybody at an time. What a country!

Dandy Don

If he has no signed contract/agreement with you for you to compensate him for this, he has no legal ground to stand on. Just tell the truth about this when you go to court.

Antigone*

Since when did the ex become an ex. It may just be sour grapes and courts aren't inclined to give judgements on boyfriend/girlfriend money going back and forth ~ it is way too convoluted.

Dandy Don

senior judge is so brilliant that he did not clarify exactly what was wrong with my advice and even better yet, he offered no better information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">