• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he have the right!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SunnySpunny

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

An ex-boyfriend, who owns a body shop, repaired my car after I had an accident. I told him, if possible, I'd rather pay for it out of pocket instead of turning it in on insurace. I asked him what it would cost & he said he'd do it for free. We broke up & now he wants money for it. Does he have a right to ask for payment, after doing the job "for free"? Had he said that he would charge me at the time, I would've gone ahead and filed a claim with my insurance; he's wanting $1500.00 !!
There is nothing written - only verbal.

Just Blue

He repaired the car in June. We spit up 3 weeks ago...
Legally a Judge would have to weigh the evidence...but to avoid going to court could you offer to come to an agreement...perhaps pay the cost of the parts?? I mean you broke up with the guy just after the repairs were done...no wonder he's .....annoyed....

SunnySpunny

I can understand him being upset. However, that's exactly why he's asking for money....If we were still together, this wouldn't be an issue. He has put me in a "no win" situation. The car is fixed; I can't go to my insurance co. now. I offerred him $ several times, and he wouldn't take it. I did talk him into allowing me to pay for a trip to the beach, which he accepted. I paid for all of the gas, most all of the meals & the accomodations. I didn't itemize my expenses, but I did pay for everything with a credit card. So, the way I see it, I should charge HIM for the trip!

Just Blue

I can understand him being upset. However, that's exactly why he's asking for money....If we were still together, this wouldn't be an issue. He has put me in a "no win" situation. The car is fixed; I can't go to my insurance co. now. I offerred him $ several times, and he wouldn't take it. I did talk him into allowing me to pay for a trip to the beach, which he accepted. I paid for all of the gas, most all of the meals & the accomodations. I didn't itemize my expenses, but I did pay for everything with a credit card. So, the way I see it, I should charge HIM for the trip!
So let him sue you in small claims court. You bring your receipts as proof of your "thank you trip" for the GIFT of his mechanical services...He brings the unpaid invoice for the repair and try to explain to the Judge why the vehicle was released to you without payment, and why he waited till AFTER the break up to seek remedy.

Have you actually ASKED the Insurance Co. if it is too late to submit the bill??

SunnySpunny

No, I haven't questioned the insurance company. But, how can a claims adjustor investigate a car that has been repaired? There's no photos of the damage. There were 2 parts replaced, which I'm sure he still has the reciepts for. I would agree to pay for them without a problem. In fact, I would've paid him while we were together, had he accepted it.

I think I'll take my chances and see if he takes it that far. Right now, all he's doing is harrassing me by phone for the $$...

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">