• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he hold any ground?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcunningham410

Maryland

Okay, so there is a tractor trailer repair shop across the street from my house. I had just purchased a car. One night I decided to go into the gravel parking lot and do a donuts in the gravel. Spun around like twice and went home. The next night did the same thing. The next morning a police officer was outside looking at my car so I went outside to see what he wanted. He asked me if I was in the truck repair shop's parking lot last night. I said no but to cut a long story short, it resulted with him telling me if I did not to do it again. Around 2PM that day the owner came to my house and said that he had just had had his parking lot rolled and graded. He then gave me the receipt from the guy who did it and told me that he wouldn't take me to court if I gave him $1000.00 to have the spot I did the donut redone. The thing is he doesn't have any video footage of me in his parking lot and he also doesn't have any photos of my vehicle. The only thing he has is an employee from that night which was at 10PM. No videos, no photos of the crime in progress, just a person who said it was my car. All this took place on October 11th 2011 and the other day the same guy came to my house with photos of the spot in the parking lot I did it in and said he had the parking lot repaired and that he wanted his money or he was taking me to court.

Here are the questions I have:
  • Does he have a case if there is now physical evidence tieing my to the scene of the crime?
  • Does he still have a right to press charges since it has been a month after this incident

Just Blue

Maryland

Okay, so there is a tractor trailer repair shop across the street from my house. I had just purchased a car. One night I decided to go into the gravel parking lot and do a donuts in the gravel. Spun around like twice and went home. The next night did the same thing. The next morning a police officer was outside looking at my car so I went outside to see what he wanted. He asked me if I was in the truck repair shop's parking lot last night. I said no but to cut a long story short, it resulted with him telling me if I did not to do it again. Around 2PM that day the owner came to my house and said that he had just had had his parking lot rolled and graded. He then gave me the receipt from the guy who did it and told me that he wouldn't take me to court if I gave him $1000.00 to have the spot I did the donut redone. The thing is he doesn't have any video footage of me in his parking lot and he also doesn't have any photos of my vehicle. The only thing he has is an employee from that night which was at 10PM. No videos, no photos of the crime in progress, just a person who said it was my car. All this took place on October 11th 2011 and the other day the same guy came to my house with photos of the spot in the parking lot I did it in and said he had the parking lot repaired and that he wanted his money or he was taking me to court.

Here are the questions I have:
  • Does he have a case if there is now physical evidence tieing my to the scene of the crime?
  • Does he still have a right to press charges since it has been a month after this incident
1. Yes. Google "Eye Witness"
2. Yes.

3. (And this is free of charge). Pay for the damage you admit here that you did.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Son... Time to grow up and face the consequences of your juvenile behavior. Go and apologize with either a check in hand or a payment plan. Or, expect to have a judge tell you to do it, plus pay the guy's legal fees. Which I can guarantee will be more that $1000.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Where EVER did you get the idea that there had to be photos or videos before he could win his case?

This isn't CSI, sport. People were winning cases on eye-witness testimony long before Gil Grissom and his boys and girls and subsequent replacements ever appeared on CBS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">