• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my brother in law have the right to sue us?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaitlinxoxoxo

We live in New York and My husband and I got married in June 2015. My brother in law offered to get us a DJ even though I had a written contract with my sister who was my maid of honor saying she would use my laptop to play the music. But my brother in law insisted he would pay for the DJ and we had nothing to worry about and that my sister should enjoy that night. Well the day of the wedding we found out that My husband didn't pay the hall so we didn't have a reception. Now my brother in law is trying to sue us for the money for the DJ even though he basically said it was a gift and I have a message from him stating we don't owe him for anything. He's even tried to basically blackmail us to get this money that he's claiming we owe him. He's also been harassing us and won't leave us alone.

Just Blue

We live in New York and My husband and I got married in June 2015. My brother in law offered to get us a DJ even though I had a written contract with my sister who was my maid of honor saying she would use my laptop to play the music. But my brother in law insisted he would pay for the DJ and we had nothing to worry about and that my sister should enjoy that night. Well the day of the wedding we found out that My husband didn't pay the hall so we didn't have a reception. Now my brother in law is trying to sue us for the money for the DJ even though he basically said it was a gift and I have a message from him stating we don't owe him for anything. He's even tried to basically blackmail us to get this money that he's claiming we owe him. He's also been harassing us and won't leave us alone.
Why did you delete your other thread?

I'mTheFather

Odd. I saw the original last night, and this one looks the same.

Your BIL can file suit. Will he win? Who knows.

ETA: My bad, the title is a little different.

Last edited:

latigo

Of course your chiseling husband is refusing to pay him. Just like he refused to pay for the planned reception facilities.

And of course his brother agreed to pay for the DJ. But he did so with the understanding that the facility would be available for the DJ to perform his services. Your husband's failure to provide that facility takes the gratuitous offer off of the boards! So pony up!

"A marriage made in heaven", this ain't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">