• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does my ex partner have a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perplexed101

What is the name of your state? California

Hoping that someone can give me some advice.

On Sept.3rd I bought a Tiffany vase on eBay together with my then eBay-partner. He had pointed out the vase to me saying it was worth 3 to 5,000 dollars and said we should try to win the bid. I now nothing about Tiffany and said I would have to rely on his knowledge ( my mistake). Anyway, we ended up winning the bid at $1729. It was bought through my account. When the vase arrived at my house I immediately informed my partner about it and he only showed up ten days later to inspect it. He then stated that the vase was dirty and took it with him. Soon after he called to tell me that there was an issue with the vase. It seem it had some color loss, which affected it's value. As it had taken him ten days to come and inspect it , it was now too late to send it back. My partner said we could still sell it, so he listed on eBay for sale. It sold, but sure enough the buyer returned it with the complaint of it's problem and he of course was reimbursed. That was in November 06. my partner brought the vase to my house out of his own free choice, for me to enjoy, I guess,till we decided what to do with the vase. Our partnership level at that point had already started to get frosty, things were moving apart. I didn't hear from him for a while and then in middle of January 07 he called me with a long story and how he had befriended an owner of a nearby auction house and that we could try and sell the vase again through this auction house. I said fine. At this point it was only the vase that still tied us together and I was prepared to take a loss, simply just hope it's not too big of a loss. A few weeks ago I bought a very rare vase on eBay and this made my ex-partner very angry, because he too wanted this particular vase. So now he turned really sour. Yesterday he advised me of his intentions of suing me for $900.- he claims I owe him for the Tiffany vase. I told him that I don't owe him any money and that he should follow through with his suggestion of selling the vase through the mentioned auction house. He says, now that I have stolen the other vase from him (which is not true. I bought and payed for it and have the invoice to prove it) he is ending our business relationship and as far as he is concerned the Tiffany vase is mine and I owe him $900.- and if I don't pay him by March 16th he will sue me. I said that's fine. I don't think that he has the right to just simply change the terms of an agreement just because he is angry and now wants to unload the Tiffany vase, which when sold will be a financial loss for sure.
Am I right or wrong? Does or does he not have a claim.? I have the paper work to prove that I initially payed for the Tiffany vase in full. He then payed me his share in two checks for which I have a bankstatement of deposit. He had given me a check for my share of the profit when it sold the first time and I have a copy of the check that I payed him back that money when the buyer need to be reimbursed.

Can I countersue him , asking that he needs to sell the vase? He is the one who suggested we buy it in the first place.

I would very much appreciate an answer and advice.
Thanks so much,

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">