• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does My Side Stand Its Own Ground?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WallFlower

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Got out of a relationship with a guy, after 4 years. Over the course of four years I paid his rent twice ($235 each time), paid for the eviction fees he encountered when he bounced a rent check and was being threatened with involving the police unless he came up with CASH that night (I personally wanted a paper trail, but gave him the cash) ($555), funded a trip to California ($265), and bought a guitar that he just had to have ($100). I had a drumset that was his, and I had no problem with returning it to him if he would pay back his debts (which he did promise that he would). Now, he has no intention to pay his debts and wants to take me to court over the drumset. He even claims that his debts to me are paid on because he had to afford a lawyer to go to court for the DV issues that led to our nasty breakup. But what I want to know is, do have good grounds for a counter suit? I would prefer him just to be honorable and pay his debts as I have no problem paying mine... but he's not an honorable guy.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Got out of a relationship with a guy, after 4 years. Over the course of four years I paid his rent twice ($235 each time), paid for the eviction fees he encountered when he bounced a rent check and was being threatened with involving the police unless he came up with CASH that night (I personally wanted a paper trail, but gave him the cash) ($555), funded a trip to California ($265), and bought a guitar that he just had to have ($100). I had a drumset that was his, and I had no problem with returning it to him if he would pay back his debts (which he did promise that he would). Now, he has no intention to pay his debts and wants to take me to court over the drumset. He even claims that his debts to me are paid on because he had to afford a lawyer to go to court for the DV issues that led to our nasty breakup. But what I want to know is, do have good grounds for a counter suit? I would prefer him just to be honorable and pay his debts as I have no problem paying mine... but he's not an honorable guy.
Aside from the fact that you did not ask ONE LEGAL QUESTION, the answer to the question you failed to ask is, return the drumset or face criminal conversion charges.

Oh, and say "you're welcome" when he says thank you for the gifts you gave him over the course of your 'relationship'. Because you have no legal basis for recovery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">