• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aztaurus

What is the name of your state? AZ

My sister-in-law offered to watch my two oldest children(5 and 3 years old). We agreed and she took them to her house from Wed. to Sat. with us picking up our children at my nephew's birthday party on Sat. When we arrive at the party, the SIL arrives not 5 seconds after us, and immediately pulls my wife aside and talk to her about something I can't hear. My wife tells me that she said "You need to have a talk with your son, he took my engagement ring and can't find it now." My son, the alleged thief, is three years old.

Here's the scenario as we were told:
The SIL decided to take a shower, and leave my children under the supervision of her 16 year old SIL in the same house. It is then explained to us that when she came out of the shower and went to her room, her wedding band was on the floor next to her nightstand where she claims the rings were, and the engagement ring was nowhere to be found. She of course blamed my son.

After the b-day party, we (wife and I) agreed to go back to SIL's house with my son to search for the ring. My son had no idea what was going on, but we have still pestered to tell her where the ring was. On the following Monday, my wife offers again to help search for the ring, but again, it was not to be found.

Now, the SIL is harassing my wife saying this was our responsibility and that she wants me to pay for the lost ring. I have my own opinion about the scenario, but I am not in contact with SIL, nor would I want to make my opinion known unless it went too far with her attacking my family.

Does she have a case to sue me for the amount of the ring, when she was responsible for the actions of my son as he was under her supervision?

ENASNI

Whoa... she arrives not five seconds after you? Whoa... is she one of the Fantastic Four?

Is there a Doberman in this scenario... If so... I would X-ray his abdomen.

Sue YOU? no.. she should sue the three year old. what kind of assets does he have? Does he have a lawyer yet?

rmet4nzkx

How much evidence has found it's way to the sewers's since Saturday?
Why is she taking it off to take a shower, will it turn green if it gets wet?

aztaurus

ENASNI said:
Whoa... she arrives not five seconds after you? Whoa... is she one of the Fantastic Four?
Nice coincidence, eh?

ENASNI said:
Is there a Doberman in this scenario... If so... I would X-ray his abdomen.
No doberman, but a 16 yo who could make a 'getaway' with a perfect scenario such as this if so desired.

ENASNI said:
Sue YOU? no.. she should sue the three year old. what kind of assets does he have? Does he have a lawyer yet?
My son is a 3 yo with the attention span of a gnat (much like many 3 yo's), who I know finds one thing to play with, and would drop it after 5 seconds within 5 ft. of where he found it..IF he even took it to begin with. No assets but a car, and the house she is living in is not hers or her husbands...that's another legal issue in and of itself, but she has nothing...no insurance on the ring. No lawyer, but if she finally got the courage to ask me personally (and not my wife), I'd tell her that she wouldn't get a cent from me and to challenge her to take me to court.

Last edited:

aztaurus

rmet4nzkx said:
How much evidence has found it's way to the sewers's since Saturday?
When I checked the house, the sinks in the area all had traps luckily and my son never really liked playing around toilets or sinks. Not to say it wouldn't have been a possibility. We took off the toilet and snaked it with no luck.

rmet4nzkx said:
Why is she taking it off to take a shower, will it turn green if it gets wet?
Good question, but my wife does the same as the..ahem..LARGE diamond :) gets in the way sometimes.....but she has the common sense to keep it safe when she does so.

aztaurus

Here's my take on it...

She OFFERED to take my kids, into her home, which means they are her responsibility and any recourse for what they do while in her care is also her responsibility. When I heard that she was bringing over the receipt for the ring to my wife so she could have her ask me to pay for it, I laughed, but I was angered and offended that she would expect me to pay for her negligence. I've since learned that once the ring was 'found missing', my daughter told me that she absolutely went off on my son and had him in tears. Sorry to get personal within a legal forum, just needed to vent a tad.

I figure, if she did attempt to take me to court, what judge in their right mind would take her side? Would I be able to counter-sue for mental anguish and such since she's causing so many problems with upsetting my son and my wife?

aztaurus

rmet4nzkx said:
:eek: Let me reframe the question.
Could someone including but not limited to your son have swollowed it :eek: :D ?
Perhaps...but not likely, my boy has a hard enough time eating peas without making a drama production out of it.

Edit: Didn't exactly answer your question correctly...
As far as I know at the time, there was my two children, my 5 yo woudn't even bother with the ring. The 16 yo other sister in law and that's all I know. No pets.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">