• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have a case agains me? Please advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angel_325

I live in Northern California and a now ex-friend of mine purchased a DVD for me while she was living in Japan before she left. I asked her to get it for me and she agreed. Payment was not discussed at the time of request. I assumed I would pay her the cost of the DVD. She has mistreated me by trying to extort things from me for getting the DVD for me and has tried to get a higher exchange rate than what she paid. I refuse to be taken advantage of. At the time she purchased the DVD it cost around $53, now it is around $63. I would have paid the cost, but she now wants shipping and handling in the amount of $9. She asking for a total of $71 or 6,680 yen. She has a receipt for the DVD but no receipt that for the shipping charges she paid. I know for a fact she paid less because I shipped stuff from Japan and get package from Japan very often, so I am familiar with the shipping costs. She has also made me wait over 4 months for the DVD. In her original email she tells me I would be able to get it by September, but she was delayed on one of her trips and made me wait until now. I expected the DVD in September as I need it for a present, but she insists no gurantees were made, even though I have an email where she says I could get it by September. Does she have a case agains me in small claims court?

Antigone*

I live in Northern California and a now ex-friend of mine purchased a DVD for me while she was living in Japan before she left. I asked her to get it for me and she agreed. Payment was not discussed at the time of request. I assumed I would pay her the cost of the DVD. She has mistreated me by trying to extort things from me for getting the DVD for me and has tried to get a higher exchange rate than what she paid. I refuse to be taken advantage of. At the time she purchased the DVD it cost around $53, now it is around $63. I would have paid the cost, but she now wants shipping and handling in the amount of $9. She asking for a total of $71 or 6,680 yen. She has a receipt for the DVD but no receipt that for the shipping charges she paid. I know for a fact she paid less because I shipped stuff from Japan and get package from Japan very often, so I am familiar with the shipping costs. She has also made me wait over 4 months for the DVD. In her original email she tells me I would be able to get it by September, but she was delayed on one of her trips and made me wait until now. I expected the DVD in September as I need it for a present, but she insists no gurantees were made, even though I have an email where she says I could get it by September. Does she have a case agains me in small claims court?
Why on earth would she take you to court over a $70 DVD player:eek: Why on earth would you pay to get a DVD player from Japan when you can go to Best Buy and get one for fifty bucks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">