• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAA128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm not quite sure where to post this. My husband and I recently purchased a dog from a woman on Craigslist. We paid part in cash, and the rest was a GPS which worked when we left our possession for the remaining $40. After I left and got home with the dog, the woman contacted me claiming the GPS didn't work, and wanted the dog back, or the remaining $40. The woman lives 2 counties away, and we were willing to send the money until taking the dog to the vet and found that the dog has been malnourished/abused and has a tumor on her neck, wasn't up to date on shots like we were told, and has kennel cough. We have been going back and forth for a month now, and she says she is going to sue/contact the cops. Can she?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm not quite sure where to post this. My husband and I recently purchased a dog from a woman on Craigslist. We paid part in cash, and the rest was a GPS which worked when we left our possession for the remaining $40. After I left and got home with the dog, the woman contacted me claiming the GPS didn't work, and wanted the dog back, or the remaining $40. The woman lives 2 counties away, and we were willing to send the money until taking the dog to the vet and found that the dog has been malnourished/abused and has a tumor on her neck, wasn't up to date on shots like we were told, and has kennel cough. We have been going back and forth for a month now, and she says she is going to sue/contact the cops. Can she?
Yep. She can sue. Unless she owns a store or something of that nature, you bought the dog as is. Are you willing to return the dog?

AAA128

No, we are not. We were more curious because of the condition the dog was in with being malnourished/abused. Not being UTD on shots, etc, wasn't our concern. We also told her, initially, we would pay her the $40 if she would give us the GPS back, which she refused to do.

OHRoadwarrior

No, we are not. We were more curious because of the condition the dog was in with being malnourished/abused. Not being UTD on shots, etc, wasn't our concern. We also told her, initially, we would pay her the $40 if she would give us the GPS back, which she refused to do.
You just changed your story. First she wanted another $40 and you did not want to pay, now you want to pay and she won't take it. If she does not want her money, what would she be suing for?

AAA128

No, before we took her to the vet, etc, when she initially contacted us to tell us the GPS was broken, we told her we would give her the $40 if she would meet us/send us the GPS, which she refused to do. She lives 40miles away, and I had already driven out to her once to pick up the dog. If she would have been willing to meet us or send us the GPS back, there would have been no issue. But she wants to keep the GPS, plus get this extra $40. Once we took the dog to the vet and learned of the malnourishment/neglect/abuse, it reinforced our desire to not want to pay the extra $40 after the argument about the GPS.

eerelations

OK, so when she files suit for the $40, don't muddy the waters with information about the dog's condition, maltreatment, vet bills etc. Simply tell the judge you would be overjoyed to give her the $40 as soon as she hands over the GPS to you. The judge will probably rule in your favour. (And if he doesn't, well, so you're out a broken GPS, how big a deal is that really?)

AAA128

It wasn't a broken GPS when we gave it to them, it had just been used that day. and we checked it before I left.

AAA128

Won't let me edit my other post for some reason, web browser being stupid. Wanted to add "but thank you"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">