• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does testimony work in small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RBE

A former friend of mine has 1200 dollars' in my car parts. I lent him all these parts, with the exception of the last, a 300 dollar throttle body which he was going to sell for me. I need the parts back, but he's since divorced his wife, moved from his house, and is ducking me. My local police tell me it's not criminal. I can find him, that's not my worry.

I don't have any receipts of any kind, which is my problem. I should be able to get corroborative testimony from his wife, and some of my family. I think he sold the parts, so any physical evidence on his car is gone. Is this enough to win a case in small claims? Thanks for your time, and again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

RBE

I don't quite follow, do you mean that anything legal is legal in small claims? In that case I still don't know how it works too well.

Craig

fairisfair

RBE said:
I don't quite follow, do you mean that anything legal is legal in small claims? In that case I still don't know how it works too well.

Craig
No, what he is telling you is that we deal only in US Law, state the name of your state of residency.

garrula lingua

Bring the people to court, who can testify to your ownership of the parts, and your 'loaning' him the 1200 in parts & the proposed sale of the 300.

Be clear in explaining the terms of your agreement with him: I 'loaned' him these parts with the understanding he was to return them by ________, (whatever -- when he got back on his feet, when he could afford to pay me, etc)

Think of the terms - maybe he isn't in breach of any contract - if the terms were 'until he gets back on his feet' or something such, the time for him to pay may not have arrived, or you may not have a 'loan' but a 'gift' to him.

People usually lose because the terms of the 'loan' are not clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">