• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drhb37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

So a week ago (Sunday aug 30) we were walking our two little mini beagles (each are about 12 pounds) when a large shepherd or lab mix broke off a leash they were on tied to a tree and charged at us and grabbed our dog in his mouth and started flinging him like a chew toy. The attack happened in the owners neighbors driveway. Our dog was severely injured, ripped to shreds. She survived but it's been a long and expensive journey. The owner of the dog is refusing to take responsibility. Saying "dogs will be dogs". Animal control was called out. Our dog is suffered a massive injury and were up to about $3k in vet bills that we've had to pay upfront so far. Recovery is ongoing. How do we proceed? This guy won't return phone calls, won't answer the door, refuses to acknowledge us or the attack. This has become a very frustrating nightmare. Any advice?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

So a week ago (Sunday aug 30) we were walking our two little mini beagles (each are about 12 pounds) when a large shepherd or lab mix broke off a leash they were on tied to a tree and charged at us and grabbed our dog in his mouth and started flinging him like a chew toy. The attack happened in the owners neighbors driveway. Our dog was severely injured, ripped to shreds. She survived but it's been a long and expensive journey. The owner of the dog is refusing to take responsibility. Saying "dogs will be dogs". Animal control was called out. Our dog is suffered a massive injury and were up to about $3k in vet bills that we've had to pay upfront so far. Recovery is ongoing. How do we proceed? This guy won't return phone calls, won't answer the door, refuses to acknowledge us or the attack. This has become a very frustrating nightmare. Any advice?

Dogs Will be dogs??..:mad:
Well, with that statement, it just goes to show you, graduating from the third grade wasn't such a waste of time after all...
I'm of the opinion that they got the wrong animal tied to a tree....
Laws very so much from city to city the only thing I could say is you should consult with an Attorney. this is not a do it yourself project. Hope your dog is doing better.
Good Luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dogs Will be dogs??..:mad:
Well, with that statement, it just goes to show you, graduating from the third grade wasn't such a waste of time after all...
I'm of the opinion that they got the wrong animal tied to a tree....
Laws very so much from city to city the only thing I could say is you should consult with an Attorney. this is not a do it yourself project. Hope your dog is doing better.
Good Luck.
I disagree on your advice to "consult with an attorney", as it would be a waste of money that cannot be recovered through a court action. The OP should sue the bad guy (the owner of the dog) in small claims court. No need for an attorney.

(To be fair, an attorney could write a demand letter on behalf of the OP, but the owner of the dog doesn't sound like the type to be intimidated by that.)

I disagree on your advice to "consult with an attorney", as it would be a waste of money that cannot be recovered through a court action. The OP should sue the bad guy (the owner of the dog) in small claims court. No need for an attorney.

(To be fair, an attorney could write a demand letter on behalf of the OP, but the owner of the dog doesn't sound like the type to be intimidated by that.)

Yes you're, right I was eluding to that when I was distracted by outside dog barking...
Then inside dog (we have two pits) starts up. That means its time to get up and go look. We have a lot of homeless roaming around at night looking for recyclables or an unlocked car door.
One time I had let inside dog out to do the potty thing when she goes on alert and stops wagging her tail, some guy walks out from the shadows and asks me if the dog bites. I looked at him and said
not today she hasn't....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">