• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Attack Issue - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chickadie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I volunteered for a rescue organization and fostered a dog for them. While the dog was in my home it was attacked by one of my own personal dogs. I do not have the entire amount of the medical bills to be able to pay to the rescue organization.

I attempted to talk with the President of the rescue (it's a small organization) to make arrangements to resolve the matter. I was directed to speak with the director of their southern california operations. Less than 24 hours after starting negotiations with the Director of Southern California I was told that she was no longer allowed to discuss any matters regarding the rescue with anyone. There has apparently been a dispute between that director and the organization. She has since submitted her resignation.

I have not been contacted by anyone to setup arrangements to resolve the matter. I am wondering if they can sue me, without first trying to resolve the matter? Also - if they do hire an attorney, am I responsible for their legal fees? I did not sign any type of foster contract.

I'm not sure what to do... any/advice would be helpful, and I would be very happy to clarify or answer any questions.

dcatz

I volunteered for a rescue organization and fostered a dog for them. While the dog was in my home it was attacked by one of my own personal dogs.

Without knowing anything more about what happened, there are CA statutes that could support a civil action. They include Civil Code sects. 1814, 1833 and 1834. These pertain to the duties of a voluntary depositary and to those of a depositary of live animals, but we don’t know if they or any others are relevant.

Also - if they do hire an attorney, am I responsible for their legal fees?

It depends on the nature of the suit and if they prevail and if the court allows a request for fees. If they sued in Small Claims court, they couldn’t use an attorney.

I attempted to talk with the President of the rescue to make arrangements to resolve the matter.

Try again. You attempted to do a good deed and something went wrong. There is nothing (yet) to suggest that it was intentional or that you were negligent. Likewise, there is nothing to suggest that the Director’s resignation was related to your incident. You voluntarily made an effort at a mutually agreeable resolution, and that’s advisable. Make another effort. Try to resolve it before suit becomes an appropriate consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">