• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Fight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichelH11

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

Last week, I was playing ball with my 2 year old lab mix (Lexi) in an open field near my apt. complex, where many dog owners take their pets off of a leash. Lexi (w/o a leash) & I crossed the street to head back to the apt, when we crossed paths w/a dog walker and a shepard mix, Maggie. The dog walker stopped to let Maggie sniff Lexi. Maggie growled & showed her teeth at Lexi, and then went after her. As the brawl occurred, I tried to pull Lexi out of the fight by her collar, but I couldn't get her out b/c Maggie had her pinned underneath her. Consequently, Maggie suffered injuries on her belly from having Lexi pinned under her.

The dog walker was not the dog's owner, but hired help, who reported the incident to the owner. The owner, an elderly woman, has been to my apt. 5 times since the incident asking for reimubsement of vet expenses, (that somehow keep getting larger). She has even tried to get me to sign contracts saying that my dog attacked her's and I would promise to pay all expenses. Maggie's owner recently filed a complaint w/animal control against Lexi for "attacking Maggie". I am very upset by this b/c I don't feel that Lexi had any option but self-defense & I'm not even sure Lexi actually bit her, it may have just been scratches from her nails.

Now I have to contact animal control to give my statement re the incident.

Please Help!!What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well contact Animal Control. One of the problems you have is that your dog was NOT on a leash which may be a violation of the law. If so it may be strict liability on your part for the injuries caused by you allowing your animal off the leash and not on your property. And it does not matter if the other dog was injured by teeth or claws. If the dog was injured you may find yourself responsible for the vet bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">