• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucytn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Our dog was attacked by a neighbors pit bull and german shepard while walking our leashed pet on a public street. Our neighbors pets were running freely. Our dog was critically injured and required surgery. Is she liable for the vet bills?

Last edited:

cyjeff

What did the police say when you called them and got the police report?

Yes, if properly documented, you may have a case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Our dog was attacked by a neighbors pit bull and german shepard while walking our leashed pet on a public street. Our neighbors pets were running freely. Our dog was critically injured and required surgery. Is she liable for the vet bills?
Sue the bad person in small claims court.

lucytn

dog injury

The police took a report and attempted to contact the person that same evening. The dogs were visible through her door, but no one answered the door. Animal control was contacted by the police and called our house to get information and were going to attempt to make contact with her also. We sent a copy of the police report, copies of the vet bill and pictures taken at the animal hospital via certified mail but that was over 2 weeks ago and we have not received the document showing where she had gotten it yet. I placed t a letter to her via regular mail yesterday regarding the matter to inform her that this was my second attempt to contact her. How long should I wait and what do you think I should do next? Thanks so much for your responses.

Zigner

The police took a report and attempted to contact the person that same evening. The dogs were visible through her door, but no one answered the door. Animal control was contacted by the police and called our house to get information and were going to attempt to make contact with her also. We sent a copy of the police report, copies of the vet bill and pictures taken at the animal hospital via certified mail but that was over 2 weeks ago and we have not received the document showing where she had gotten it yet. I placed t a letter to her via regular mail yesterday regarding the matter to inform her that this was my second attempt to contact her. How long should I wait and what do you think I should do next? Thanks so much for your responses.
What time frame did you give her in the letter?

Antigone*

Send another demand for payment. Give them 30 days to pay. Inform them that if they do pay by that time you will take them to court. Send it certified

Then do as you say you are going to do.

lucytn

She never claimed the 1st certified letter we sent. The second we sent in the regular mail. How should I send the last request demanding payment as you indicated?

Zigner

She never claimed the 1st certified letter we sent. The second we sent in the regular mail. How should I send the last request demanding payment as you indicated?
Certified with a copy also sent via regular mail (make note of that fact in the letter)
And, in this case, I think 10 business days to make suitable arrangements is more than fair.

seniorjudge

Send one certified mail, return receipt requested and another regular first class mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">