• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog at Large

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASFarns3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

--My neighbors have a dog that is constantly running about the neighborhood without owner supervision, and not even on a leash.

Not only does this dog dart in front of cars and bicycles, but also barks, snaps, and snarls at any pedestrian walking by their house. (Even if the pedestrian is across the street! The dog will actually follow you down the street...)
This behaviour has been witnessed/experienced by me several times, and is completely unprovoked.

We have asked our neighbors to keep their dog behind their fence, where it belongs, or to keep it on a leash.
I'm sure that if it came down to it, I would be able to get them for the "Dog at Large" animal code, but would I also be able to claim the dog as Potentially Dangerous?

sandyclaus

What are you waiting for???

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

--My neighbors have a dog that is constantly running about the neighborhood without owner supervision, and not even on a leash.

Not only does this dog dart in front of cars and bicycles, but also barks, snaps, and snarls at any pedestrian walking by their house. (Even if the pedestrian is across the street! The dog will actually follow you down the street...)
This behaviour has been witnessed/experienced by me several times, and is completely unprovoked.

We have asked our neighbors to keep their dog behind their fence, where it belongs, or to keep it on a leash.
I'm sure that if it came down to it, I would be able to get them for the "Dog at Large" animal code, but would I also be able to claim the dog as Potentially Dangerous?
This dog is a danger to himself with the wandering in traffic, and to others in his threats of biting. You bet I'd claim him as "potentially dangerous". If you can prove that he belongs to a specific person, call your local Animal Control right away and make a report so that they can capture the dog, get him off the streets where he is safer, and evaluate his behavior to ensure safety to the community at large from the possibility of attack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">