• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog at large charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LennyMarx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I've recently been charged with a dog at large charge. My dog is a pit bull and very well behaved. The person filing charges is my next door neighbor and has no proof of my dog being so called "at large" I keep my dog in the house and in the backyard. Every once in awhile I'll let him go out front to use the bathroom but he never leaves the front yard and I stand watch over him. What I'm wondering is if he has no proof besides saying my dog runs loose or a neighbor agreeing with him.

Is this enough to be found guilty of the charge?

And if he has only eye witness accounts and no hard evidence can I get neighbors also to sign a petition or even show up for the court date to say otherwise?

What can I do to defend myself is what I'm asking. My dog doesn't run the streets and I know this but what do I need to prove this?

Thanks for this forum. Wish I knew about this along time ago.

Alex23

That's strange. Usually AC pics up your dog, and then you get the citation. Why would they issue you one with no evidence just on the word of your neighbor?

msiron

Tell the idiot to read the local ordibaces... if they are like mine.... For example my neighbor saw my dogs out in OUR backyard (he could see from his backyard) I wasn't home or he would have got a mouth full.... anyway he yells over to my husband 'hey those dogs are suppose to be leashed'. My meek coward husband says nothing.

When I got home I went to my town hall on line and printed up the town ordinance concerning leashing and excludes your yard and only on a public way and he got it hand delivered.

LennyMarx

That's strange. Usually AC pics up your dog, and then you get the citation. Why would they issue you one with no evidence just on the word of your neighbor?
Good question, guess I'll find out when I go to the clerks office.

Tell the idiot to read the local ordibaces... if they are like mine.... For example my neighbor saw my dogs out in OUR backyard (he could see from his backyard) I wasn't home or he would have got a mouth full.... anyway he yells over to my husband 'hey those dogs are suppose to be leashed'. My meek coward husband says nothing.

When I got home I went to my town hall on line and printed up the town ordinance concerning leashing and excludes your yard and only on a public way and he got it hand delivered.
I've been looking online for something like this for my town but can't find anything. So I think I will have to go into town and find out. But from what I have seen online it does seem most of the dog laws pertain to public property and such.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and keep it coming please.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest you keep your (known dangerous/aggressive breed) dogs contained.

CJane

Does your municipality have regulations concerning bully breeds/pit bulls/etc?

Is your homeowner's insurance company aware of the type/breed of dog you have?

When you let your dog 'out front' of your house to do his business, does he EVER step off your grass and onto the sidewalk, or the right of way near the street? Is he leashed?

Is your dog properly registered with your municipality or county and tagged?

Zigner

My dog is a pit bull and very well behaved.
A comment on this...

The last pit-bull I had contact with seemed to be an amazingly well-behaved and loving dog. Of course, I had to be careful touching it so that I didn't get any of my cat's blood on me, since the pit had just finished viciously mauling my cat even while I pounded on it's head with a brick.

For the future, I've learned that a good way to stop a pit-bull in that situation is a sharp kick to the chest/lungs of the animal.

Zigner

Must have been a spam message that got reported that brought it back in to play...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">