• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Trickery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dogtrickery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

While living in NC, a then friend asked if I could watch her dogs for three months while she goes to FL. I accepted, she kept asking for a month more, I accepted. A year later I accepted a job in NY and told her she had to take the dogs back. She did not come through but told me she needed more time and would pay for everything needed. I had to board the dogs at one point due to travel, which she said she would pay for and did not- it hit my credit report. Then a dog got sick, which she told the vet on the phone she would pay for, and of course did not. Almost 5 years later and about a 100 requests that she pay for some of my losses, and take the dogs back- I would like to get back some of the vet bills and the food:

I have spent almost $1500 in vet bills that she said she would pay for.

I spend about $20 every two weeks on food for two large dogs.

I have to travel because of my job and pay about $50 every time I am away. The dogs have ruined furniture, carpet, I have paid extra for 5 years in rent and lost my deposit, I have requested all of these in emails and she does not reply any more, I have asked her to only pay the vet bills and she does not even acknowledge, I think $4,500 is more than fair as I have spent well above that in taking care of the dogs. I do like the dogs and they are not in any danger, beyond I can’t afford to take them to the vet and one of the dogs is fairly sick. With my limited legal education, I am guessing I have to do small claims court, but with her living in Florida and the original verbal contract of three months was in NC, and me being in NY. Can I still pursue her legally?

cyjeff

You can sue the bad person in small claims court.

Be prepared to answer the question "Why, over the course of the past 5 years, didn't you just take the dogs to the ASPCA?"

Dogtrickery

Thanks for your reply.

I read a little on Small Claims and got the impression that the originating event occurring in NC, then her being in FL and me in NY is not important- will only cause a time delay. Are you aware if this is correct?

And yes, I have had a lot of people ask and it is a very good point, but as much trouble as they have caused I couldnt do that to the dogs. One of the dogs has a lot of resemblance to a Pit Bull and with all the bad publicity she would probably get put down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">