• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dogs with a Bad Rap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

ZepsMom

What is the name of your state?
Texas.
Will be brief. I am writing on behalf of a friend with a frustrating and potentially litigious situation.

We are both homeowners in a nice UMC neighborhood. My neighbor (LOS) lives several houses down the street and has resided there for @ 10 months.

The neighbor directly to her right (JML) has taken issue with her 2 dogs (elderly german shepherds). These dogs have the freedom to enter/exit LOS's backyard from the garage. Said backyard is enclosed by a 6 ft. closed wood fence. There is no shared fence with JML. In fact there is an @ 15 ft sideyard separating the homes which belongs to LOS.

From the moment LOS moved in, JML has complained about the "incessant" barking of these animals. Although loud, (consider the breed), these dogs do NOT bark incessantly. They are old (10 &12) and are content to bark at the garbage truck or the occasional car going down the alley.

JML considers any "barks" as a violation. Since this began he has:
shown up on their doorstep at night in anger (the dogs were not barking at that time, they sleep inside at night, but had barked earlieer in the afternoon on a at. when LOS was gone), he has called LOS and used profanity over the phone, has ordered and installed a device and put it on his fence which emits an ultrasound pitch designed to "condition" the dogs to stop barking (this has only aggravated the situation). he intentionally bangs his trash can to rouse the dogs, uses a weedeater against LOS's fence, and stares for long lengths of time at the animals.

The latest is his calling the police in the middle of the day because the dogs were barking, apparently with no regard for the fact that he is building a pool and the day laborers were working/walking back and forth through the common side yard.

The police officer (a dog owner) sympathized but stated that he would have to issue a citation upon the next inevitable complaint.

Los is frustrated . She stays at home and monitors the dogs barking. They only respond when provoked. I have spent many afternoons there and can attest to this fact.

Ihave lived next to obbnoxious incessant barkers. I know how maddening that situation cn be. THis is NOT that situation.

What is the best way for LOS to handle this inevitably escalating problem?
Thanks...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Have your friend be proactive. Train the dogs, and talk to a vet about methods and products available to keep the dogs from barking. That's the way to keep a bad situation from getting worse.

IAAL

Z

ZepsMom

Thanks, IAAL. I will pass along the advice. I must say, this JML seems to have a bit of a screw loose. LOS was tempted today to send him a letter asking him kindly but firmly to "get a life", and to warn him that any "loud" future pool parties would be met with a black&white. I talked her out of it, as it would document that she was escalating the situation.
Her husband thinks they should videotape this guy provoking the dogs....any thoughts?

JETX

One other suggestion.... if possible, have your friend set up a video camera overlooking the yard or the fence on the complainants side. If she can show that the dogs are only reacting to the neighbors actions, it might go to show that his claims are without merit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">