• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dogs killed at large cat.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacylyn77

hey all i have never had to deal with anything like this befor so i am lost and scared. My dogs escaped from my yard one night and attacked and killed a cat that belonged to a lady a few streets over. The cat did not die right away the vet kept it alive and sedated for 3 days while pumping it full of meds. The cat finally did die and now we are being sued for almost 2000$. My question is this; am i basically screwed or do i have a leg to stand on in that the cat was at large as well as my dogs?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, this site is for US law only.

Why didn't you pay for the damage your animals caused?

Banned_Princess

hey all i have never had to deal with anything like this befor so i am lost and scared. My dogs escaped from my yard one night and attacked and killed a cat that belonged to a lady a few streets over. The cat did not die right away the vet kept it alive and sedated for 3 days while pumping it full of meds. The cat finally did die and now we are being sued for almost 2000$. My question is this; am i basically screwed or do i have a leg to stand on in that the cat was at large as well as my dogs?
it depends on which us state you are in. (which is why, we asked.. and you erased.)

sandyclaus

Whether or not the cat was at large is not the point here. The cat didn't attack your dogs. And the last time I checked, there wasn't a leash law for cats.

The fact remains that your dogs WERE at large. Most cities and communities do have a law requiring a dog owner to maintain control of their dogs at all times. Your failure to control your dogs and keep them on your property unless they were leashed and fully supervised is what makes this YOUR problem.

Stop making excuses and reimburse the nice cat lady for her vet bills.

csi7

Yes, it makes a difference what state you live in, what type of containment method you use to keep the dogs under control, and where the attack took place at.

Since there are no witnesses, other than the animals, and you've admitted that the dogs were at large, I would say you are definitely liable for the veterinarian fees.

We keep our animals contained within the fence, so any animal jumping the fence and attacking our animals is not our responsibility. The animals are not left outside unattended, either, there are visuals available through the windows, and sliding glass door.

We do this since we have the nasty neighbors next door and the ones on the other side of the nasty neighbors let their dogs loose through their back yard. The next door neighbor complained it was our dog doing the damage, and only recently since they finally fenced in their back yard did they actually see the dogs running across the back of their property behind the fence.

We have physically removed all the animals who come inside the fence without injury. It's getting old to keep doing this.

How, exactly did your dogs escape, and how often do they escape contained area?

Mass_Shyster

Depending on your state, you may be liable for the vet bills, or you may be liable for the fair market value of the (used) cat.

The plaintiff will also have to prove that it was your animal that caused the damage. If nobody saw the attack, that's pretty tought to prove.

Banned_Princess

in what state do people refer to runaway dogs and cats as "at large"?? sounds England-ish to me...

per the title, I thought it was a typo... dog kills a large cat...

Silverplum

in what state do people refer to runaway dogs and cats as "at large"?? sounds England-ish to me...

per the title, I thought it was a typo... dog kills a large cat...
In rural Arizona, my H got a ticket for "DOG AT LARGE" because his hound wasn't on a leash. "Dog At Large" became one of the hound's nicknames. :p

proud_parent

in what state do people refer to runaway dogs and cats as "at large"??
Many. Including your own.

§ 122. Local laws or ordinances

1. Any municipality may enact a local law or ordinance upon the keeping or running at large of dogs and the seizure thereof, provided no municipality shall vary, modify, enlarge or restrict the provisions of this article relating to rabies vaccination and euthanization.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/AGM/7/124

sounds England-ish to me...
:confused::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">