• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dogs and Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calzone

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Well, recently our dogs were outside our front lawn. Another lady comes walking by with the dogs and our dogs go to run down to sniff this dog. During this time my sister who is 18 is trying to bring the dogs back. The lady is doing nothing to get her dog out of the situation. Her dog attempts to bite and one of our dogs and then a fight broke out between the dogs. Her dog yelped and our dog stopped. Their dog walked away without problems and there was no blood where it happened but, apparently there was a 2 inch gash on the dogs leg. We paid the medical bills for the dog but, the lady wants us to pay for her bills now as well. She claims she later went to the emergency room due to "Post Traumatic Trauma". She then processed to get cat scans and brain scans (believe they are called EKG's) done on her head. All of this she claims due to the fact that her dog got into a fight that, her dog started. She called animal control and they came out and we had to do everything about that. They also called the health department and now 1 of our dogs is in quarantine and we can not take her anywhere else with the other dogs because they want to make sure she doesn't have rabies but, she is up to date on all of her shots. This really has my parents stressed out because she says that if we don't pay for her bills then she will take this to court. I'm thinking going to the emergency room for such a stupid reason will still cost in the thousands. Any help would be grateful. Thanks

P.S. during the whole incident the lady was never bitten at all.

Ozark_Sophist

Were your dogs contained within a fence or restrained by a leash or tie-out? Was the neighbor walking through your yard or on the street?

calzone

no there is no fence on our front lawn. They were off the leash due to that we let them out our front door to go to the bathroom. It happened on the edge of the yard. Like the area that dogs tend to walk on the edge of the grass but, it wasn't half way up our yard. We paid the medical bills on the dog just, don't see a point for paying the medical bill for the lady.

EDIT: I also forgot to say that the reason the lady went to the emergency room is because a neighbor that is a supposably a nurse told her she looked like she was suffering from a stroke.

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

no there is no fence on our front lawn. They were off the leash due to that we let them out our front door to go to the bathroom. It happened on the edge of the yard. Like the area that dogs tend to walk on the edge of the grass but, it wasn't half way up our yard. We paid the medical bills on the dog just, don't see a point for paying the medical bill for the lady.

EDIT: I also forgot to say that the reason the lady went to the emergency room is because a neighbor that is a supposably a nurse told her she looked like she was suffering from a stroke.
The lady went to the hospital on the recommendation of a medical professional as a result of the unprovoked attack of your unrestrained animals on her dog. I expect there are laws requiring dogs to be restrained in your community. I believe you are responsible for her medical bills--to what extent, I don't know. Contact your home insurance company.

***I was recently bitten by a neighbor's dog after he jumped through my living room window. His owner failed to get him rabies shots for at least eight years. I am currently undergoing the post exposure vaccination for rabies. My medical bills for the shots alone approach $4500.

gawm

You are responsible for the vet bill. Unless your dog physically injured the woman, you are not responsible for her medical bills. Tell her to sue because she doesn't have a case on that point of law. Dogs are considered property. You don't get damages for "Post Traumatic Trauma" because your property was damage.

You need to start being a responsible dog owner. Keep your dogs under control at ALL TIMES! Why don't you have your dogs vaccination records on hand? That would have kept it out of quarantine.

P.S. Please tell me you don't have pit bulls. I'm sick of irresponsible owners jeopardizing my right to own one.

Just Blue

You are responsible for the vet bill. Unless your dog physically injured the woman, you are not responsible for her medical bills. Tell her to sue because she doesn't have a case on that point of law. Dogs are considered property. You don't get damages for "Post Traumatic Trauma" because your property was damage.

You need to start being a responsible dog owner. Keep your dogs under control at ALL TIMES! Why don't you have your dogs vaccination records on hand? That would have kept it out of quarantine.

P.S. Please tell me you don't have pit bulls. I'm sick of irresponsible owners jeopardizing my right to own one.
Gwam, Did you miss this statement???

The OP caused this situation due to his/her negligence. If the woman (was she elderly??) had to go to emergency because the stress of the situation put her in fear for her health, then OP is responsible.

calzone

We did have our rabies information on hand. I could have shown it to the lady if she asked, she also said she checked the information before she came out. I read the paper and I believe it says that even if a dog bites another dog and its up to date on vaccinations, it still gets put in quarantine from you for 10 days. Our dogs our unofficially mixed with Pitbulls. My sister tried to get the dogs off of one another. The lady just stood there doing nothing during the problem to stop it. These are loving dogs that would never hurt anything. The reason our dog bit her dog because her dog bit at our dog first. We have never had a problem with the dogs getting into fights.

EDIT: Yes my sister said this lady was elderly. I have never seen her before, Its always her husband that comes to our house to talk to us or who we talk to no the phone with.

Just Blue

We did have our rabies information on hand. I could have shown it to the lady if she asked, she also said she checked the information before she came out. I read the paper and I believe it says that even if a dog bites another dog and its up to date on vaccinations, it still gets put in quarantine from you for 10 days. Our dogs our unofficially mixed with Pitbulls. My sister tried to get the dogs off of one another. The lady just stood there doing nothing during the problem to stop it. These are loving dogs that would never hurt anything. The reason our dog bit her dog because her dog bit at our dog first. We have never had a problem with the dogs getting into fights.

EDIT: Yes my sister said this lady was elderly. I have never seen her before, Its always her husband that comes to our house to talk to us or who we talk to no the phone with.
So there is an elderly lady LEGALLY walking her dog on a leash, and your dogs that are NOT in your control and allowed to off leash approach her dog. Her dog is intimidated by your dog and react the way nature dictates. The old lady is stunned, frightened and at a loss as to what to do when all he!! breaks loose, but you seem to think that she reacted poorly?? Can you imagine how scared she must have been?
Your dogs should never be allowed to roam loose. Period. You are at fault and as a result are responsible for ALL cost associated with the attack. Submit a claim to your homeowners insurance.

gawm

I still do not think you will be responsible for her medical bills. So what if her "nurse" neighbor told her it look like she was having a stroke. Did she have one? I guessing no. Was that an opinion of a paid medical professional or a neighbor? You do not get mental anguish awards for property.
I don't blame this elderly lady for not trying to break up a dog fight. That's how people get hurt. She should have never been put in that position. I hope I am wrong because I do think you should pay more for your stupidity. Hopefully you were cited also.
I must say, letting pit bull mixes out to go to the bathroom in an unenclosed front yard is probably as stupid and irresponsible as you can get. :mad:

gawm

Maryland does not have a Dog Bite Statute.
Common Law Liability
Under Maryland’s common law, a dog owner is liable for injuries caused by his or her dog when the owner fails to exercise reasonable care, fails to control the animal, or fails to prevent the harm caused by the animal. The owner’s knowledge of the dog’s propensities is relevant in determining the degree of control a reasonable person would have taken under the circumstances. Even if the owner is unaware of the dog’s mischievous propensity, the owner can still be found negligent if he failed to exercise reasonable care in controlling the animal or preventing the harm.

How much later did she go to the hospital? What was her prognosis? IF she can show her trip to the ER was because of this incident I would consult an attorney in this matter.

Ozark_Sophist

How much later did she go to the hospital? What was her prognosis? IF she can show her trip to the ER was because of this incident I would consult an attorney in this matter.
Before consulting an attorney, notify your home insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">