• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door damage at apt building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jabberbox55

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello,

Could you please give me advice on how to proceed with the following?

I hired movers to move me out of my apartment building. When we were leaving, the apartment complex blamed the movers for ripping the cable out of the metal automatic door outside that let the trucks enter the building. I was not present at the time they claimed this happened but the movers denied it. I was present when the maintenance guy said that the movers were operating the door when the movers were not. I signed a statement with the moving company stating that. But I did not see if the movers broke the cable before that and did not sign anything stating that I saw that.

The apartment complex took $253.74 out of my security deposit and charged me $1386.53 (which I did not pay yet). I don't know what to do. I shouldn't have to pay for the door. Either the moving company or the complex is responsible.

- I do not know if there were any witnesses that saw the movers break the door. Would there have to be witnesses in order for the movers to be liable?
- Should the apartment complex have charged me or should they have gone after the movers?
- The apt complex already took $253.74 out of my security deposit and I want that back
- Should a I pay the balance of $1396.53 for the door or refuse to pay it? If I should pay, who should I take to small claims court, the apartment complex or the movers, or should both be present?
- What should I do first? Should I contact the apartment complex or the movers? Is there any written statements that I need? What information should I collect?

Could you please help me. I don't want to do anything until I know I'm taking the correct steps. Please let me know, I greatly appreciate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

racer72

- I do not know if there were any witnesses that saw the movers break the door. Would there have to be witnesses in order for the movers to be liable?
It depends. If the movers were the last to use the door before the damage was found, that is pretty good evidence.

- Should the apartment complex have charged me or should they have gone after the movers?
The apartment complex has no legal agreement with the movers and the movers were there working for you, that makes you liable for anything the movers did.

- The apt complex already took $253.74 out of my security deposit and I want that back
Sue the owners in small claims court.

- Should a I pay the balance of $1396.53 for the door or refuse to pay it? If I should pay, who should I take to small claims court, the apartment complex or the movers, or should both be present?
If you don't pay, you will likely be sued. You would sue the movers, they caused the alleged damage.

- What should I do first? Should I contact the apartment complex or the movers? Is there any written statements that I need? What information should I collect?
First, get all the proof the apartment complex has that the damage was contacted by the movers. Then I would suggest a consultation with a local attorney.

jabberbox55

Carpet Damage

Damage to Carpet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My landlord charged me $1400 to replace the whole carpet in my apartment. I agree that the living room carpet needed to be replaced, but the 2 bedrooms did not have anything wrong with them. Can they charge me for the entire capet which includes the 2 BR also? I think the carpet was new when I moved in. They said because of the dye they needed to replace the entire carpet and couldn't replace just the living room. Also they said they have pictures but when I asked to see them, they said that they were sent to the corporate office and I could not get them. If they should only charge me for the living room, what can I do to get some of that money back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">