• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drama: Sued by Ex-BF

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FineTune

What is the name of your state? CA

My ex-boyfriend is suing me for almost every penny he ever gave me that he's got proof he did give me i.e. if he bought something for me with his card/check and he can prove it, he's suing me for it.
Even though we are still living under the same roof, he did not have the courtesy to talk to me about it. I imagine he's too embarrassed to ask me to pay money he knows he did not loan me though on the papers that were served to me, he lied that he's tried to collect the money from me.
He's suing me for a total of $6,751.425 (yes, .425).
1) $3,000 is a payment he contributed to my car: I've got an email from him offering to contribute towards the purchase of my car. My sister and her husband (and I understand that they may be considered biased witnesses) were present when he gave me the money as a contribution. He had no car at the time and was driving mine. He's even still insured on it.
2) $2,500 is a check he wrote out to me to buy the household stuff we use (I've got receipts for these and I don't care - he can take all the pots, pans, forks, knives, glasses- even the lighter and kitchen towel if he wants) He wrote the check out to me because I was the one doing all the running around trying to find what we needed for the house.
3) $300 annual subscription for a professional body we both belong to. He paid $150 in December 2004 and $150 in December 2005.
4) The rest is made up of smaller amounts he paid out, including a gas bill (he paid the first gas bill, and then we agreed that I'd take over the gas bill and he'd pay the electric). Now he wants that first payment back.

In short, he's suing me for money he claims he loaned me since December 2004 – June 2006.

Am I crazy for thinking he's crazy? Come on, unless he's so stupid, why would he have kept loaning me money since 2004 if I wasn't paying it back?
Is an email an acceptable form of evidence?
Can my sister/her husband be my witnesses?
The bulk of the $2,500 check went to buying a bed which HE sleeps on.
I just don't get it….somebody help me out….what do you think he's thinking?

PS: I realize this email might make it look like I am one of those dependant money sucking species of a woman. I AM NOT. I have helped him out too, so many times but I choose not to be petty. I know I wasn't loaning him any of my help. I know that when he had no place to stay and was staying with me, I was helping him out as my boyfriend not as a loan to be repaid when we split. When I asked my sister and her husband to put him up rent free for 2+ months, they were helping him out as my friend. They are not asking him to pay the rent now that the relationship is over.

Any similar cases I could refer to?

seniorjudge

arcanemelody said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My ex-boyfriend is suing me for almost every penny he ever gave me that he's got proof he did give me i.e. if he bought something for me with his card/check and he can prove it, he's suing me for it.
Even though we are still living under the same roof, he did not have the courtesy to talk to me about it. I imagine he's too embarrassed to ask me to pay money he knows he did not loan me though on the papers that were served to me, he lied that he's tried to collect the money from me.
He's suing me for a total of $6,751.425 (yes, .425).
1) $3,000 is a payment he contributed to my car: I've got an email from him offering to contribute towards the purchase of my car. My sister and her husband (and I understand that they may be considered biased witnesses) were present when he gave me the money as a contribution. He had no car at the time and was driving mine. He's even still insured on it.
2) $2,500 is a check he wrote out to me to buy the household stuff we use (I've got receipts for these and I don't care - he can take all the pots, pans, forks, knives, glasses- even the lighter and kitchen towel if he wants) He wrote the check out to me because I was the one doing all the running around trying to find what we needed for the house.
3) $300 annual subscription for a professional body we both belong to. He paid $150 in December 2004 and $150 in December 2005.
4) The rest is made up of smaller amounts he paid out, including a gas bill (he paid the first gas bill, and then we agreed that I'd take over the gas bill and he'd pay the electric). Now he wants that first payment back.

In short, he's suing me for money he claims he loaned me since December 2004 – June 2006.

Am I crazy for thinking he's crazy? Come on, unless he's so stupid, why would he have kept loaning me money since 2004 if I wasn't paying it back?
Is an email an acceptable form of evidence?
Can my sister/her husband be my witnesses?
The bulk of the $2,500 check went to buying a bed which HE sleeps on.
I just don't get it….somebody help me out….what do you think he's thinking?

PS: I realize this email might make it look like I am one of those dependant money sucking species of a woman. I AM NOT. I have helped him out too, so many times but I choose not to be petty. I know I wasn't loaning him any of my help. I know that when he had no place to stay and was staying with me, I was helping him out as my boyfriend not as a loan to be repaid when we split. When I asked my sister and her husband to put him up rent free for 2+ months, they were helping him out as my friend. They are not asking him to pay the rent now that the relationship is over.

Any similar cases I could refer to?

This is an extremely common ploy by a jilted lover.

Just tell your side of the story and hope the judge is not an idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">